No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leaving

    My boyfriend is 17 and living in an abusive situation and doesn't really know what to do. He wants to get out but he doesn't want to be placed in a foster home since he's like 6 months away from turning 18 he just wants out and he wants out now. He wants to come live near me. But his parents will call the police if he leaves. And his parents control his finances so he doesn't really have any money. His parents have taken his phone, so I've lost most contact with him except through an email once in a while. Will the police take him back if he just walks out and leaves the state? Or is he going to have to tell them about what's going on?

  • #2
    Hi, thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your boyfriend is in a really difficult situation, and needs to sort out his options. And, it is really good of you to reach out for help and be so supportive.

    We’re not legal experts here, but can offer some general advice. In most states the age of majority, where you legally become an adult, is 18. If your boyfriend leaves home before turning 18, his parents can file a runaway report. Enforcement varies from city to city and local municipality, the police may or may not choose to enforce, since he is close to 18. The best way to know how the police will enforce is to call them on their local non-emergency number. If your boyfriend can call us here at the NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we can understand the situation better and help him with that call.
    If he decides to leave home, there is a lot to think about. As examples, he will need a safe place to stay, and a way to support himself. There are programs called transitional living programs that might make sense in his situation. If he calls us here directly at the NRS, we will be glad to help him work through his options and resources that can help. Please try to have him call us, we’ll look forward to hearing from him soon. Thank you again for reaching our and trying to help.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif