No announcement yet.

16 Planning To Run Away From abusive home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Planning To Run Away From abusive home

    Hi im 16 from Pennsylvania. I live with my father and sister amd my sister keeps moving out and coming back and this time shes here for good. My sister always hits me and attacks me with attempts to kill me for random things and she verbally abuses me and forces me to watch her child while she goes out at 2 am to go to bars and stuff. I told my dad that i dont wanma live here if she is living here and he told me "them i guess you no longer live here" hes always favored her and treated her much better then me he yells at me for nothing doesnt let me leave the house or have friends over im not aloud to get a job and sometimes he threatens to hit me. He told me i cant live there anymore but i know if i try to leave he will get upset and start yelling and lock me in my room or something if i do runaway i have a place to stay and people who will help me until i get a job and provide for myself. Am i aloud to run away? Will the police bring me back to him? Is he aloud to come and take me away? Please help me i dont want to stay here anymore.

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thanks for reaching out to NRS! We really appreciate you explaining a bit about what’s going on at home with your dad and sister.

    It sounds like your sister has been using you and treating you very poorly. Sorry to hear that your dad hasn’t supported you. If you’re wanting to report the abuse/neglect you’re experiencing at home, we are here to help you do that. There’s also an organization, called Child Help (800) 422-4453. They help youth find ways to get their custody transferred to a safe adult in your life. You asked about running away, while we are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. Runaway laws differ from state to state, and even city to city. If you’d like to call into our Safeline, we can call out to your local police station with you to ask them about their protocols regarding runaway laws!

    We’re open 24/7 and sometimes talking more about the situation can help brainstorm different options. You’re not alone! We’re also available on our chatting service via our website!

    Stay safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif