Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and I want to get emancipated from my father.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 16 and I want to get emancipated from my father.

For the past eight years of my life, my father has been running away from his responsibilty, yet he continues to harass me and emotionally scar me even though he hasn't lived at our— my mothers— house. He acts as if he's divorced from my mother, but they legally are not divorced. My father lives in another state and is currently jobless, so I don't understand why he can't just live at home with my mother and I. My parents are not in a position to think about divorce right now, but I don't want to have anything to do with my father. I want to get emancipated only from my father because I have a good relationship with my mother. Again, my parents are not divorced, but I don't want to have any sort of relationship with my father. I have been thinking about this for two years now, and I'm certain that my father has caused me emotional distress and hurting me instead of helping me.

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that your father has been so emotionally harmful to you. It sounds like you want to know more about emancipation and whether it’s possible to cut ties with one of your parents, in this case, your father. We’re not legal experts, but we can as much info as we have to help you figure out what to do.

It’s hard to say with certainty whether it’s possible to be emancipated only from one parent. Because the laws can vary from state to state, there is a possibility that emancipation may not be available in your specific state. For specific information on the laws in your state, it would be a good idea to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state. A good place to get information on what your options might be is your local Legal Aid agency. Legal Aid is a not-for-profit organization that provides legal services for clients that can’t afford to pay for counsel. If you would like help finding the Legal Aid agency nearest to you, or if you just want to talk to someone about what’s going on, please feel free to reach out to us. We won’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to share information that might help you decide your next steps. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929). We’re also available by chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!
    -NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X