Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 and need to get away.

My mother is the main reason why I am leaving. I can't go back and just suck up to her, how do I find help for a period of time until I'm 18. For now I'm with my girlfriend but things are getting hard over here as well. I just don't know what to do. I have a job and a license.

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us today. It sounds like you're in a really difficult position right now. We are so sorry to hear that things are difficult with not only your mom but your girlfriend, too. It's great that you have a job and a license, those are both things to be proud of. Hopefully we can give you some information on runaway laws to help you out.

Normally when you leave home before the age of 18 you would be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that you won't be arrested for running away, but your mom could file a runaway report for you with the police and the police would be looking for you. If the police found you they would take you back home. It would not go on your permanent record and you would not get arrested. If there is any abuse going on at home and you tell the police about it they'll investigate it and get in contact with child protective services.

You did mention that you were 17, so it's important to note that sometimes some police departments do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds. This differs from police department to police department though, so you may have to call your local police department and see what exactly they would do in your situation. If they do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds you can leave without your mom's permission and she will not be able to get the police involved.

If you want any shelter resources please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. You can email us or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can. We wish you the best of luck wit everything!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X