No announcement yet.

can i live with friends at 15 if one parent says its okay

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • can i live with friends at 15 if one parent says its okay

    long story short, i cant live with my mom. im not going to go into details but i face great deals of emotional and verbal abuse at home. my dad isnt divorced from her so he has the same amount of custodial rights over me but he lives somewhere else and i dont want to live him. he has severe ptsd and though he has never gotten abusive with me he abused my mom for many years and i dont think it would be safe for me to live there. however, he did say that he would let me live with my friend and her parents and believes that thats the best option. im going to talk to people about what my best option is. i just want to know if its possible to live where i would like to and if they could get custody if one parent agrees

  • #2

    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having hard time living at home with your mother and your father’s house isn’t an option either but you would like to live with a friend with your fathers blessing. While we are not legal experts we cannot say what rights one parent has in regard to letting you live with another family. It might be best to contact someone with legal experience with matters of custody. If you would like you can give u a call we can provide you with some contact information as well as talk to you more about what is going on.

    You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse which may be reportable against your mother. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

    It was brave of you to reach out for help. If you want to talk more about what is going on you can always give us a call 1-800-786-2929
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Hey both of my mum and dad say no I can’t live with my friends do I have a right to bc long as I’m in a home that’s all that matters tho right and bc I want to move out even tho I have adhd and other ******** I wanna live with friends what do I do


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there, and thanks for reaching out to NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like you're having a tough time at home, and we're sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, the National Runaway Safeline works primarily within the US, so we don't have a ton of information and resources that extend beyond that. If you visit, you might be able to find an organization in your area that is similar to ours who can better assist you.

        Take care.


    • #4
      I am 15 and today my mom has offered for me to go live with my friends since its the life-style that I want and that im choosing, she left me with no phone and money and I have no clue what to do.. im at school right now waiting to go back and see her and I just dont know what to do


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for writing us here at NRS. It takes great courage to reach out and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s been going on. It sounds like you’re in a tough situation and are concerned about your next steps. Since it seems that you have your mother’s permission to leave home you probably will not be reported as a runaway to the police. We are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. In most states you need to be 16 years old and show that you can support yourself financially. If you’re not ready to leave home maybe there is a family member or friend that could help you communicate this to your mother. However, if you need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit The National Safeplace website ( This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need of a safe place to stay. You can also use their TXT 4 HELP free service offered to all youth in crisis. It’s quick, easy, safe, and confidential:

        ·         Text the word “safe” and your current location (address, city, state) to 4HELP (44357).

        ·         Within seconds, you will receive a message with the closest Safe Place site and phone number for the local youth agency.

        ·         For immediate help, reply with “2chat” to text interactively with a trained counselor. 

        Be safe,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp