•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
    It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time and we want you to know you are not alone. You do not deserve to be hurt and we are sorry you are feeling that way. If you feel like your father is emotionally abusing you, you do have the right to file a report. One option to file a report would be to call Child Help: 1800-422-4453. You can also call or chat with us and we would be able to help you with filing an abuse report.
    As far as leaving without permission, we are not legal experts but do have some information. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a run away report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider talking with your grandparents and see if they have any insight or advice on your situation.
    We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck! If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call.
    NRS

Guest replied
    i don’t want to live with my parents anymore, i want to live with my grandparents. i’d feel a lot happier with them than if i did staying with my parents. i don’t like my dad, he’s not the nicest person in the world. he doesn’t physically abuse me, but some of the things he says and does to my money hurt me and make me definitely look at him differently. he’s a control freak, he tries to control everything i do, especially about where i want to go to college. i’m 17, i live i’m louisiana, my grandparents liv in tennessee. i’ve tried to talk to my dad about letting me go up there but he refuses to let me. i know i don’t have at home family issues like many other kids do, but i’m miserable. my dad won’t let me be happy, he makes sure he’s the only one whose happy in the house. can i leave without his permission?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and for sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like living with your dad has not been safe and his form of "discipline" has escalated to physical violence. It is not okay for your dad to hit you or attack you physically under any circumstances. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe and supported.

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is always available if you need someone to talk to about how you have been feeling. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.

You do have the option to make a report to child protective services. This would lead to an investigation and if CPS finds that living with your dad puts your safety at risk, you could be removed from his custody and placed with another family member like your grandmother. You can speak with an advocate at Child Help to learn more about the reporting process and help with making a report, 1-800-422-4453 childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My dad recently got custody of me and my sister after we’ve lived with our grandma for basically our entire life ever since he got custody of me all he does is hit me I’m not talking about no little hits, he fights me like I’m a grown man I’ve had big bruises down my leg, belt marks from where he’s hit me. This is reoccurring he would old my face down on the floor, choke me to the point I could barely breath. I told him I want to kill myself when he does stuff like that to me and all he says is that I’d be doing him a favor if I did so. I really don’t want to live with him, I want to live with my grandmother. He doesn’t abuse my little sister he only does it to me, for what reason? I don’t know. I understand discipline but he takes it too far and I don’t feel safe around him. Please help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and live I’m London Ontario, I’d like to move out because I’m not comfortable in my own home. I stay in my room all day everyday and it’s effecting my mental health very badly. I would like to live with my boyfriend and hour and a half away my mom said if I ever left she’d call the police. Could they take me back to where I’m currently living?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us in this difficult time, it seems like you feel like your mom isn’t treating you well and you would prefer to live with your grandparents. It’s good that you have a support network and feel like your grandparents would be there for you.
    If you were to leave you would need parent permission to permanently live with your grandparents. Otherwise your mom can file a runaway report and have the police come take you home if she wanted. Your grandparents could potentially also face a harboring a runaway charge if the police chose to file those charges.
    You should feel like you are safe and listened to at home, if that isn’t the case it may also be worth talking to a school counselor or trying to convince your family to try therapy to make your living situation more bearable.
    If you have more questions or just need someone to talk to please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online. Good luck!

Guest replied
    I’m living with my parents they don’t treat me fairly and never let me hang out with my friends my mom doesn’t know how to talk to me without yell and i would like to move in with my grandparents is there anything u could help me with I’m 16

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hi there,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at NRS. We’re really sorry to hear that you’re going through a tough time—you don’t deserve to be treated that way and you should feel loved and supported at home. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for more help and we are glad that you reached out to us.
    While we’re not legal experts, it is our understanding that your grandparents could petition the court for custody, if they’re willing to assume guardianship over you. Your mom and dad are generally your legal guardians until you turn 18. The process of petitioning can be somewhat difficult and is often a lengthy process. One option to potentially consider is whether your parents would give you permission to live with your grandparents without terminating their custody. Your parents could grant your grandparents temporary guardianship so that they can do things such as enroll you in school and take you to the doctor, until you turn 18. If you chat or call us, we can look into legal resources in your area that would be able to provide additional information on what this process might look like. Here at NRS, we can help open up a dialogue between you and your parents through our free conference line service.
    We are very sorry to hear that your parents have been treating you this way. You don’t deserve to be told you are worthless, and deserve respect because your life is important and you matter. If you are ever feeling unsafe or thinking about ending your life, we encourage you to reach out to emergency services by phone or in person. You may also reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org to access additional support.
    We want to commend you for sharing with us and reaching out for help. We’re here to listen and help as you navigate this challenging situation. We’re available 24/7 to discuss your options and next steps through our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.
    All our best,
    NRS.
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 01-20-2020, 09:24 PM.

Guest replied
    I wanna go live with my grandma and grandpa. My dad tells me I am worthless and my mom does nothing about it they don’t love me . I wanna kill myself

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there, 

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS. Home is supposed to be somewhere you feel supported and at ease. It can certainly by overwhelming to live with a parent who is emotionally abusive and is not able to adequately care for you. It is really thoughtful and responsible of you to acknowledge that living with your grandparents will be a much more supportive environment for your mental health and overall well-being. 

If you decide to leave home without your mother's permission then she does have the right to report you as a runaway. This is not a crime, but running away is a status offense. This means that your mom can get police involved to return you home. However, if she does not report you as a runaway then police would not intervene in the event you choose to live with your grandparents. In some areas, police do not pursue runaway reports for someone so close to 18 and do not force the young person back home. You can call your local police department to anonymously ask about their runaway protocol. She can also give you permission to leave without having to sign over her guardianship rights permanently. She can give your grandparents temporary guardianship so that they can do things such as enroll you in school and take you to the doctor. 

Generally speaking, your mom is your legal guardian until you turn 18. Your grandparents could petition the court for custody since it sounds like they are much more willing and able to give you a healthy and safe living environment. However, this can be a difficult and lengthy process to pursue. You mentioned a few things that describe living with your mom as being abusive and not safe. You do have the right to make a report to child protective services. There is a possibility CPS would remove you from your mother's custody and allow you to live with your grandparents if they decide that living with your mom is putting you in danger. You can contact an organization called Child Help which advocates for young people in abusive situations. A Child Help counselor can walk you through your options for transferring custody and help you with the reporting process if you choose to make one. 

We truly want to be a support for you as a you navigate this challenging situation and take your next steps. You can call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org if you want to talk more in-detail about your situation and your options. 

We wish you the best, 
    ​​​​​​​NRS

Guest replied
    I am almost 17 and I live in Arkansas. I want my grandparents to get custody of me because my moms mentally abusive, over bearing, and a control freak. She doesnt have enough money to hardly support me and my grandparents could easily do that. But my mom wont just hand over custody rights. Tonight she told me if I really wanted to leave then to go do it. But idk if I'd be counted as a runaway or not. Me and my mom argue and have screaming fights non stop every time we have a conversation and it's not a good place for me. Sometimes she hits me really hard. It is in my best interest to live with my grandparents since my dad has a drinking problem. I have had depression for as long as I can remember and my meds barely help. But in Florida, I was perfectly fine without them. Can I petition the court for my grandparents to have custody of me?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a tough situation. You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your dad’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your dad. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).Be safe.

Guest replied
    I want to move out and live with my grandparents but I’m only 14 (turning 15 in a few months). Everyday when I wake up, or come home from school, I always get anxious coming home because of my dad. I have to wait to see if he is in a good enough mood for me to even talk to him. He is verbally, and mentally abusive towards me. My mom sees him talk to me like I’m his age always cussing at me and telling me to ******** off.
    But yet, nothing is being done about this. When small things were done or even nothing at all, I get attacked. Even if I did do something wrong, I don’t deserve to be threatened about getting the ******** beaten out of me or being punched through the wall. This has been happening for almost my entire life. When I was around 9, he tried suffocating me and I told some people at a church and they called CPS. Even though that’s not the worse thing that he has done to me, i thought I would just drop something that has happened so I don’t have to go into detail and be reminded about scary situations I’ve been in. There has been multiple similar incidents and i could go on forever and elaborate about everything that goes on here with him. Life over at my grandparents is much different. They treat me like I’m an actual human being, I feel loved and safe over there. I don’t have to worry about coming home. I know I’m only 14, but is there anything I can do to live with my grandparents and have a better life? I live in Texas.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi there,

We're sorry you are going through such a rough time at home right now. No one deserves to be abused like that. We never tell anyone what to do, but if you'd like to file an abuse report with the police or your state's child protective services hotline, you have that right. Or you can file a report through us. The choice is totally yours.

It's great that you at least have your grandparents as supports in your life. One option you might have would be to ask permission to live with your grandparents. Maybe you can even ask your grandparents if they can help with that request. At the very least, opening up to a trusted adult about what's going on may be helpful to you. With that said, we would love to talk with you to help you explore more of what your options are. We are totally non-judgmental, confidential, and we never tell anyone what to do. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and we are here 24/7. You can also reach out to us via chat by visiting the chatroom at the top of our webpage: www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X