No announcement yet.

I want my grandparents to get custody of me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad recently got custody of me and my sister after we’ve lived with our grandma for basically our entire life ever since he got custody of me all he does is hit me I’m not talking about no little hits, he fights me like I’m a grown man I’ve had big bruises down my leg, belt marks from where he’s hit me. This is reoccurring he would old my face down on the floor, choke me to the point I could barely breath. I told him I want to kill myself when he does stuff like that to me and all he says is that I’d be doing him a favor if I did so. I really don’t want to live with him, I want to live with my grandmother. He doesn’t abuse my little sister he only does it to me, for what reason? I don’t know. I understand discipline but he takes it too far and I don’t feel safe around him. Please help

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write us here at NRS and for sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like living with your dad has not been safe and his form of "discipline" has escalated to physical violence. It is not okay for your dad to hit you or attack you physically under any circumstances. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe and supported.

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is always available if you need someone to talk to about how you have been feeling. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.

You do have the option to make a report to child protective services. This would lead to an investigation and if CPS finds that living with your dad puts your safety at risk, you could be removed from his custody and placed with another family member like your grandmother. You can speak with an advocate at Child Help to learn more about the reporting process and help with making a report, 1-800-422-4453 childhelp.org.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
      NRS

i don’t want to live with my parents anymore, i want to live with my grandparents. i’d feel a lot happier with them than if i did staying with my parents. i don’t like my dad, he’s not the nicest person in the world. he doesn’t physically abuse me, but some of the things he says and does to my money hurt me and make me definitely look at him differently. he’s a control freak, he tries to control everything i do, especially about where i want to go to college. i’m 17, i live i’m louisiana, my grandparents liv in tennessee. i’ve tried to talk to my dad about letting me go up there but he refuses to let me. i know i don’t have at home family issues like many other kids do, but i’m miserable. my dad won’t let me be happy, he makes sure he’s the only one whose happy in the house. can i leave without his permission?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
      It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time and we want you to know you are not alone. You do not deserve to be hurt and we are sorry you are feeling that way. If you feel like your father is emotionally abusing you, you do have the right to file a report. One option to file a report would be to call Child Help: 1800-422-4453. You can also call or chat with us and we would be able to help you with filing an abuse report.
      As far as leaving without permission, we are not legal experts but do have some information. If you were to leave without permission your legal guardian could file a run away report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider talking with your grandparents and see if they have any insight or advice on your situation.
      We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck! If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call.
      NRS

I'm 14 and live in noxville tenesse and i want to like with my grandparents that live in Kentucky Monticello bc they have took care of me since i was a child and my mother was never thier and she forced me to live with her and her bf and i was happy at my grandparents but since she has forced me to live with her ive been a bit depressed and they both are always smoking pot and she is always going back and forth from place to place and the apartment she has me and my brother living in has bedbugs and a roach problem and i just dont want to live here anymore and never again

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I’m wanting my grandparents to get custody of me as soon as possible. I’m 16 turning 17. I currently live with my mother and stepfather. They’re really toxic and fight all the time, and he hits her sometimes. My mom is an alcoholic. And my stepfather is a gangster, doesn’t have a job. N does drugs with his friends. No matter what I tell my mom she will never leave him. He makes her cry every day, calls her names, and even tells her to kill her self. And he’s very mentally and emotionally abusive towards me. I have to hide my money from him because I have a job. And he steals it to buy beer and drugs. I told my mom I want to live with my grandma and she tells me no. It would be a better living environment for me. I just don’t know what to do anymore. Please help. I can’t be here anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. From what you mentioned it sounds like your mom and step dad make home feel unsafe and create a toxic environment. It is understandable you would want to remove yourself from this situation. Even though your mom is experiencing abuse from your step-dad as well as you, it is unfair of her to keep you in an unhealthy and stressful environment. You deserve to feel safe and to be treated with respect.

The first way to leave home would be with your mom's permission, but as you mentioned this might not be possible. The second way would be to go through child protective services and report the abuse and unsafe living conditions. This does not guarantee you would be placed in your grandparents custody immediately, but it would start a process that could have that outcome. If you would like to learn more about the reporting process and what it would like for you, you can speak with an advocate at childhelp.org. (National Child Abuse Hotline). The other option would be to go through a court order such as emancipation. Being emancipation means you would have the rights and responsibilities of a legal adult. This involves a court process and requires you to show a judge you can live independently and financially support yourself. If you would like to know more about the specifics of emancipation and if it is a viable option for you, we are happy to connect you with legal aid resources. You can contact us directly by phone or chat 24/7 for referrals.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay strong,
      NRS

I want to move in with my grandma's house because my mom and step dad hate me I'm the only child they hate I've told my grandma's and they said that they wanted my mom to give me up but she won't she treats me like a slave

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don’t deserve to be mistreated at home by your mom. It sounds like you have a supportive grandparent and that’s must feel nice to have.

We want you to know that we are also here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more about what has been going on and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). You were very courageous in reaching out to NRS.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

How do I get to live with my grandparents?

My entire family is draining for me. Me and my brother get neglected and ignored, because we aren’t the youngest children. If my mom and her boyfriend had the chance, they would tie us to a rope outside and leave us there.

Everytime I do something, even if it’s great, I always have anxiety I’m going to go home and get yelled at, beaten, or be grounded. My parents mentally, and verbally abuse me, but every time I’ve ever called CPS they’ve ignored me or have found my parents as suitable to live with.

im constantly derived of food, I can’t go do things, I’m surprised I have a phone. I always get compared to other kids, when my mom gets money, it’s either groceries that she gatekeeps from me because “you’ve got enough fat to last you weeks,” or her money goes to my two little sisters.

My grandma is the opposite of that, she’s a nice loving old lady who I’ve been going to to talk about my problems for years. She’s financially stable to handle me and my brother, AND she loves us more than our parents.

What do I do? As a 13 year old living in Oklahoma?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

My mom basically told me she didn’t want me and that she would sign me over and my dad has been in jail my whole life I have been living with my grandparents since I was born and my grandparents always took care of me but my mom moved me to Texas and I’m staying with my dad for rn now but my mom doesn’t know my dad called cps on her but I don’t wanna stay with my dad either because he has problems so when I turn 17 this year in December I was thinking bout leaving and going back to my grandparents

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been put in a very frustrating and overwhelming situation that nobody deserves to deal with. We are here to help - you are not alone.

You mentioned that you are currently living in Texas with your father but would like to live with your grandparents. In most states, you cannot live with anyone besides your parents unless you have your parent’s permission before you are 18. It may be beneficial to speak with your grandparents directly about living with them. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you, you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you are ever feeling unsafe at home with your father, there is help available. If you ever feel that you are being abused and would like to report it, you can contact the National Child Abuse hotline at (800) 422-4453 or by visiting their website at www.childhelphotline.org. We can also file abuse reports on your behalf if you call our hotline and speak with us about your situation.

We would be happy to help discuss further details and resources with you, and are available to call/live chat with 24/7. Our phone number is (800) 786-2929, and our website with livechat services is www.1800runaway.org. We cannot respond to emails or forums more than twice, but are available through call/live chat anytime you need assistance.

Again, thank you so much for contacting us. Stay safe, and take care.

NRS

I want to go stay with my grandparents because my mom doesn’t like taking care of me she and her fiancé get very upset about me not wanting to take care on my siblings they provide the food and everything but the go outside for hours and do drugs I am very scared and hate it here. My mom and her fiancé argue all the time and hit each other I even have scars on me for life that would t go away. They buy everything my siblings need but I don't get anything I STARVE it seems like they love everyone else they argue and fight and hit me I get emotionally, physically, verbally and mentally abused I really want to run away but I'm and scared I'm only 13. I need to come live with my grandparents parents to me it seems like home.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; Yesterday, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

With everything that you have been going through at home with your mom and her fiancé it took a lot of courage for you to reach out. We appreciate you sharing your feelings about the situation. Well done. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. It’s not your fault that this is happening.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to your grandparents or to 911 and seek emergency assistance immediately.

You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or other as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X