No announcement yet.

I want my grandparents to get custody of me

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want my grandparents to get custody of me

My parents treat me horrid, I have been staying at my grandparents house who love me very much and take care of me. My mom says im going to have to go back up there but I do not want too. Her and her bf fight all the time. They get in physical fights, argue, he is a drunk, other things go on in that house! My mother hits me, gets in my face. The neighbors have the cops over at their and my house all the time. All my valuable items go missing. I want to live with my grandparents but my mom says she will tell the court lies about them so i can live there with them. I don't want to go back up their please help me someone. I live in TN and I am 17 years old, how do I make sure i get to live with my grandparents?

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. It sounds like you are wanting to live with your grandparents because your mom hits you and she and her boyfriend fight a lot. It makes sense that you do not want to leave, it is so no okay for your mom to hit you. It also sounds like a pretty scary, toxic environment to live in. Here at NRS, we truly want to help.

You do have the right to report your mom hitting you and getting in your face, and their physical fights to child protective services (CPS). You so deserve to live in a safe environment where you can thrive. CPS would investigate the abuse and if they found it highly dangerous they would remove you from your home, and typically place you with a family member like your grandparents. To learn more about reporting you might contact the expert child advocates at Child Help 1-800-422-4453. We can also help you report if you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

If you are uninterested in reporting, you might include your grandparents in on the conversation with your mom. Maybe they can help advocate for you staying with them. It sounds like they are a tremendous support for you; which is great. If you are unable to get permission to stay with your grandparents, you might call out to your local non-emergency police department to see if they will take a runaway report for a 17 year old. If they will take a runaway report for you, you would typically be returned home if you are found by police.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you would like to talk through your situation more.

Stay safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I want to stay with my grand daddy cause my mother hit me kick me and whoop me

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        It was brave of you to reach out today. It sounds like you would like to live with your granddaddy because of your mother hitting you. First off we want to say that abuse whether its physical, sexual, emotional or verbal, it is never okay and you do not deserve it and do have the right to report it. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
        Additionally, it could be a good idea to talk to your granddaddy about what you have been experiencing. Talking to other people about issues is good way to think of solutions that were not thought of before. He might even be able to talk to your mother for you, about coming to live with him.
        We hope you think over your options and if you need anything from us please let us know. 1-800-786-2929
        Best wishes,
        NRS

I have lived with my grandma my whole life basically. With my mom "having" custody. My mom was never around, and recently my dad has gotten custody, and I dont like it.. I am a good kid, I make honor roll, and I dont mean to hurt my dads feelings. I have 4 other siblings and we all have to share a room because we dont have our own house. I am so depressed at my dads, and I dont like it.. I have never really seen my dad before that, and its extremely unconfortable being there all-of-the sudden. I have bad anxiety, which also makes it hard to get used too. I really wanna go back to my grandmas and my old school with my old friends, but dont know what to do. I wanna be with my grandma all the time again, and all I get to do is see her on the weekends if im lucky. My sister and I are the only girls of my dads kids, and we feel like we're not treated fairly. When we do the same thing my brothers do we get in more trouble, or dont get as much as an award. Im only 15, and I really dont know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that this situation with your dad has disturbed your life to a point where you feel anxious or uncomfortable in your own home. It might be a good idea for you to talk to your grandmother about her thoughts on having you back to stay if there is not room in your dad’s house as it sounds like. Maybe she might be open to it. While we’re not legal experts, if your dad gave you permission to stay with your grandmother, you generally would be allowed to, so it could be a good idea to think about how you could talk to him about how the current situation is not good for you. In terms of legal action with regards to custody, we do have resources in some states for youth legal support and expertise. Unfortunately, we cannot make those referrals on our forum and without knowing where we would be providing referrals for. If talking to a legal expert sounds like something you would be interested in, please contact us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or on chat at 1800runaway.org and we would be happy to try to provide one. If you do contact us on chat or over the phone, we can also talk about other strategies or options that you may have if you would like to.

My dad and mom treat me like a slave and I want to live with my grandparents

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe,
        NRS

I was living with my grandparents who took so Much care for me and gave me everything I needed. But I’m stuck with my mom and Tonight (December 03, 201 my mother hit me in the face and pushed me and hit me multiple times because I called the police. I think I fractured my elbow. I called the police because she said she wanted me out of her house and that she can’t stand me anymore. My mother is verbally, mentally and emotionally abusive, she calls me names like brat, ignorant, retarded, little **********, selfish, annoying. She tells me everyday that I did something wrong or that it was my fault for her mistakes, she tells me I ruin her marriages, her friendships, and relationships with family members, she tells me I’m worthless all the time and because of that I’ve gotten back into my depression and I’ve contacted so many ********ing people about it but nobody is there for me. I told my school councilor, the school security, the nurse, her friends, my friends, my family, the police. But the police never help, all they tell me is that because I’m 16 I cannot leave the home because she doesn’t want me to, because I’m a minor, I have no rights til I’m 18. But I can’t handle another year of this.... I don’t know what to do anymore...
      Last edited by ccsmod10; 12-03-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Reply: I was living with my grandparents ...

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

From everything that you have been going through at home with your parent’s it took a lot of courage for you to reach out. We appreciate you sharing your feelings about the situation. Well done. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek medical emergency assistance immediately.
        Again you do not deserve to be abused physically, emotionally etc.
        It is not your fault that this is happening. You cannot control hat others choose to do.
        Seeking help is an option available to you. We understand that you have been disappointed by the way the police have responded but they are mandated to report any abuse once they are told that is what’s happening. Teachers and other school administrators are mandated as well to contact child protective services for help.

To report any abusive treatment there is Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We are limited as to how we can help in this type of forum.

If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

Be safe,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X