15 and don't want to live with my mother anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 and don't want to live with my mother anymore

hi I'm 15 and I've ran away from home before but always returned home. The last time I ran away my mom sent me to live with my grandparents in Brooklyn ny and I've just returned home a couple days ago to live with my mother again but she's been really rude and disrespectful to me since I've been here and we've been arguing a lot and I'm convinced she grew a hatred for me. She will just go off like a ticking time bomb on me for something as small as spilling water on the floor. I really want to run away but I'm scared she'll find me and I'll be forced to live a miserable life or that she'll give me up to the state and won't have a say in my life at all. I don't know what to do in this situation and it's really hard because she won't let me live with any other relatives or any of my friends.

Hi, thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From what you have shared, it sounds like you are in a very difficult situation with your home life, and the relationship with your mom is causing a lot of stress. We want to start by saying you are really brave for reaching out and talking about this as it must be difficult. It seems in the past you have left home and now you are debating leaving again. We are definitely here to talk to you about some options and find what you are most comfortable doing in this situation.

To start, it sounds like your mom has been at the center of a lot of the stress that has made you want to leave home. You did mention that she has been rude and disrespectful to you, and you do not deserve to be treated like that at all. Some options you could look into could include finding a way to open up communication between you and your mom. Something you could think about doing is bringing in a third party to help you bot understand each other. This could include bringing in a trusted friend, family member, or adult (like a teacher or school counselor) to help mediate between you two. It seems like you want to be treated with more respect and overall better in the house with her. Having someone with you could help your mom understand how you have been affected by her behavior and help her understand ways to better your relationship with her. You can also think about reaching out to professional help in this situation, like a family therapist or counselor.

We can also act as a mediator in this situation with our service called conference calling. If you decide you want to try to talk to your mom with a mediator and you do not know who to ask, we can be an option too. If you are comfortable, you can call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can talk a little bit more abo what has been going on in more detail. We can figure out what you would like to talk about with your mom and set some rules, like no swearing, no interrupting, no yelling, etc; From there, we would call out to your mom and put you on the line with her to discuss what you would like to and try to reach some agreements or open some communication. This is always an option here as we are here 24/7. If this is something you want to look into, we can talk more about it if you do decide to call us.

Again, you are really strong for reaching out. We hope we have be able to open some options, and if what we have said doesn’t seem to fit with your situation, you are always welcome to reach out to us again to discuss other options you feel would better work for you. We are confidential and always here to listen and can go over other options, like child abuse reporting, counseling referrals, etc. We hop to hear from you soon!

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X