No announcement yet.

Should I run away? What else can I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I run away? What else can I do?

I am an 8th grade female possibly thinking about running away. I live with my mom and three brothers.

My father has always been emotionally and mentally abusive. He has also been a little bit physical to my older brothers. And has threatened physically. He left in 6th grade, and I exploded at him, telling him that I hated the way he always treated us and I hated him and never wanted to see him again. We both hate being around each other, but he MAKES me come only because he CAN..because he has control issues. He likes to control me and my brothers. Otherwise, he wouldn't make us come.

My parents' divorce isn't final, so legally I don't HAVE to go see him yet. I will though when the divorce is final. But recently visiting, he threatened to slap me at church, and tried to make me trip. So I ran away for awhile but got a ride home later that day and stayed at a friends' house until my mom picked me up.
    I am so scared and angry.

I have some great friends..but I don't think they'd have it in them to handle this. Same as my relatives...how could I possibly ask them to help me? They love me but I don't think anyone could handle it. I don't know what to do anymore, but I just can't go back to my dad's. It's gotten too bad.

Re: Should I run away? What else can I do?

Thanks for writing on out bulletin boards. We’re so sorry to hear everything that’s been going on with your dad. It sounds like a pretty intense situation. You should never have to feel scared at your home or around your parents. You mentioned that you ran away from your dad for a little while until your mom came to pick you up. What does your mom think about all this? Does she make you go see him also? Once the divorce is final, do you know if you’re going to have to go see him on a regular basis? Is this something that you have any say over?

You mentioned in the beginning of your post that you’re thinking about running away. How in depth have you considered running? Running away is a big decision, so it’s important to really think through before going that route. Here are ten great questions from our website that are helpful to think about before deciding to runaway.

• What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    • What would make me stay at home?
    • How will I survive?
    • Is running away safe?
    • Who can I count on to help me?
    • Am I being realistic?
    • Have I given this enough thought?
    • What are my other options?
    • If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    • When I return home, what will happen?

You mentioned that you have good friends and relatives. It’s really important to have that kind of support, even if they won’t be able to help you stay away from your dad’s house. When you say they can’t handle it, what do you mean? Is there anyone outside of your immediate family that knows how you’re feeling and what you’re going through? Can you think of one person that you trust enough to tell and see what advice they give you?

We’re so glad you found our bulletin boards today and hope that you’re able to really think through what you want to see happen and what your options are. You’re welcome to call our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY, anytime. Someone is always here. We never tell our callers what to do, but rather are here to listen, support and hopefully help you come up with a safe plan that you’re comfortable with. Give us a call anytime.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X