Im 13 and thinking of running away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 13 and thinking of running away

im a 13 year old female and im considering running away because multiple reasons
    1) My mom: my mom and i dont have the greatest relationship ever, she was never there for me at all when i was younger unless she got something out of it. Shes constantly asking me for things like money. Shes trying to send me to a therapist anf I dont even want one. She thinks I am depressed (which id believe too) and have an eating disorder. To be honest I dont want her in my life at all because I cant stand her all she ever does is bring me down and tells me im not allowed to leve the house.
    2) My other family: The rest of my family is worse, my grandmom threatens to hurt me and has hit me before "for discipline" she says. I dont know how to fully describe her but shes just very unforgiving and rude and hateful and says and does things she doesnt actually mean (fake affection)
    3) school: So I go to a Catholic School and I myself am not Catholic At All. So going to Catholic School for me is like sending a queer child to conversion camp. My "friends" there bully me and my one "friend" told my principal(who is a nun) that I dont believe in god and that im bisexual( hich isnt true i used to be but I know im panromantic asexual now) and she had no buisness telling anyone about my personal preferences. And if she had a problem with it she shouldve come to me.
    I just cant stand being in my "home" anymore anf I want/ need to leave

RE: Im 13 and thinking of running away

Hello!

First of all, thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you’re in a really hard situation. You don’t deserve to be treated the way you are, and without having the support of your mom, other family members, or friends at school, it’s completely understandable that you feel like running away is the best option. Reaching out is a huge step, so kudos to you for deciding to ask for help. Not many people can do that.

You mentioned that your mom thinks you’re depressed and tried to get you to see a therapist. It sounds like there’s some confusion as to whether or not you’re feeling depressed or not. It sounds like you don’t have a lot of people in your life whom you trust or feel close to. You don’t want to see a therapist, but is there any other trust adult/mentor figure in your life with whom you would be comfortable talking? Is your dad in the picture? This all sounds super overwhelming, so it might be a good idea to talk to someone a little more connected with you and the situation about potential options (talking to your mom, talking to your teachers, finding other support). If you don’t feel like there’s anyone you can talk to, you could call the National Suicide Hotline (1-800-273-8255) or us here at the National Runaway Safeline (1-800-786-1919).

You also stated that you are thinking about leaving home and are unsure. Home sounds like it has become very stressful for you. It is really great that you are reaching out for help and support while trying to figure out what is best for you. Here at NRS, we are not legal experts but we can speak in general terms. Generally the age of majority in the US is 18. If you decided to leave before then, then your mom would be able to file a runaway report with the police. If your mom was to file one, and you are found, then you are just brought back home to your mom. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This is similar to a minor skipping school. However, where it can become criminal is anyone that you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway by your mom or the police.

That being said, where do you think you would go if you did run away? How would you support yourself financially? Do you know of a safe place to stay for overnight if you were to live on the streets? Would you continue going to school?

This all sounds like a very intense situation. Once again, I think it’s fantastic that you are reaching out for help. We hope this was of some help to you. If you want to talk in more detail about your situation, please feel free to call our hotline 24/7 or chat with us online.
    Stay strong, and we wish you the best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X