X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. It is very brave of you to take steps to improve your situation. We’re glad you reached out to us and we will do our best to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

No one deserves to be treated the way you are being treated. It is not OK for your step dad to hit you. It is also your Mom’s responsibility to provide a safe and supportive environment for you. If you feel you are in danger, you can always call 911.

You could also consider contacting your local Division of Child Protective Services. . They may be able to help you find resources to help with your situation. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you. We can also help you file an abuse report.

Another potential resource is the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at www.childhelp.org or 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453). Childhelp is a 24-hour hotline with volunteers who can talk to you about your situation and provide resources that may be helpful to you.

Do you have friends or family that you are comfortable talking to about your situation? Do you have a teacher or counselor at school you are comfortable talking to? They may have advice or ideas that may be helpful to you. If you think it would be helpful to you, you can also call us and we can arrange a conference call with your Mom to talk about what is going on with your step dad.

You can also always contact us via chat at www.1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk and to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

We wish you the best!

Guest replied
    my step dad is so rude to me, some times he smacks me or hits me, sometimes he yanks my hair and pushes me or throws me to the ground. He is barly ever nice to me. my mom doesn't do anything about. I don't like being at home.
    Why does my step dad hit me he is barly ever nice, when my moms not home he is so mean. he hits me, smacks me , pushes me, yanks my hair, but my mom doesn't do anything im afraid to tell her because she will tell him and i don't know what he will do if he finds out. I hate being at home and i want my step dad to leave me alone he is seriously my main problem im only 12 years old and I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 10-07-2021, 05:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out. It shows a lot of courage to reach out and ask for help. No one should ever make you feel unsafe. It understandable that you do not want to be around someone who is causing you harm and you should not have to be. One option that you could purse is reporting your stepdad for abuse. The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline is 24/7 and can be reached at (800) 422-4453. If you feel unsafe you can text the word "safe" to 69866 and provide your location after that you will be provide with nearest safe place in your area. It is important to remember that you are not alone and that we are here to support you and listen. Please remember we are 24/7 and you can reach us directly by calling our 24-hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.
    NRS

Guest replied
    So I turn 18 in a few months and I am eligible for emancipation. My step-dad threatens to hit me and yells at me on a daily basis. I don't wanna be anywhere near him and I'm scared to go home what should I do? I'm afraid if I stand up for myself he WILL hit me. I don't wanna run away because of my mom but I don't feel safe at home. I can't even open my mouth around him without him yelling at me. Please help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are sorry your friend is being abused. She certainly doesn't deserve that. One thing she may want to consider is filing an abuse report with her state's Child Protective Services. She can also file an abuse report through www.childhelp.org (1-800-422-4453).

We'd like to help your friend out further. The best way we can do that would be for you or your friend to call our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. When you or her call or chat we can discuss what options she has and what resources may be available to help.

We hope to hear from you soon,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi my freind is being abused and there sted dad and real mom hit her and she and he makes bruises on here and they make threats to here and when she tells anyone at school they say that shes faking anxeity and self harm when shes not and they get angry for the dumbest reasons they do hit all the time and they been doing it since she was 5 or 6 now shes 11 in high school and they done it this night for accdently spilling a drink they repeditly hit her and laughed at her they only stop when i call her i try to call for as long i can

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed, as well as your siblings. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately, if you feel unsure about doing it yourself you can call us and we will make the call for you. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Today I went out with a friend and I asked my mom 2 days before if that was okay and she said it was. I cleaned the whole house and left and when I came back I stayed outside because I forgot my keys. Then my stepdad came with my siblings and I got in my house and went to go wash my hands in the kitchen he then starts to yell at me and asks why I haven’t responded his calls and I told him I don’t have to because my mom said to not listen to him or respond his calls if I don’t want to because my stepdad is nothing to me and I only listen to my mom. After I tell my stepdad that I won’t answer his calls he then pushes me to the door and grabs my arms and yells at me and then I get away from him and tells me to go back outside and come back inside when my mom comes back from work but I don’t listen to him and got to my room and he then pushes me to the ground and hits me and then he leaves and I told my mom what happened and she told me to call the police if this happens again but I’m not sure if I should because I’m scared my siblings and I are going to get taken away from my mom. This is not the first time this has happened and he also hits my siblings which are his biological children he also threatens me about the wifi, my phone, tv and more.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out; it takes a lot of courage to ask for help. First off, we want to say that you do not deserve to be treated this way by your step dad. No one deserves to be punched or have their food restricted like this, that is not right.

If you ever feel you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to call 911 as your safety is important. You have the right to report any abuse that you are experiencing at home. If you would like to learn more about abuse reporting, you can find information through ChildHelp (www.childhelp.org) to explore if this may be an option of interest to you. They also have a hotline available at 1-800-422-4453 if you would like to talk to someone. We at NRS are also always here to talk to you about the process or to help you in making an abuse report if that is something you would like.

We want you to know that we are here for you during this difficult time and that you are not alone. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us via chat at www.1800runaway.org or by calling us at 1-800 RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We wish you all the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My step dad threatens to hit me when no one is around. I only feel safe when my mum is at home. The other day he was shouting at me for not doing my jobs, so I told him to f*** off, he chased me up the stairs, and punched my back 4 times and ripped my t-shirt. I don't trust him anymore. Sometimes he doesn't feed me when my mum is at work or he'll feed me little amount of food. I don't like him he treats me like a slave/prisoner pretty much restricting everything I do. Pls help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    about a week or two ago my step dad caught me smoking (im 16) and then when he asked me about it of course i lied and then he went crazy (he was drunk because hes a raging alcoholic) and he punched me. He only went that far because my mom was in hawaii with my sister because she moved there and the next day i ran away and stayed the night at my friends house and told my mom and sister and then they onlt thought i ran away because i was mad i got my phone and everything taken but i was actually scared for my life and did not know what to do after my mom got back we didnt even adress the situation and im still grounded and they are acting like he did not even do that and he still gets mad and yells in my face everyday and i want to run away again and i need help on what to do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds were a tense at home with your stepfather and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best. If you need help finding shelters in the area, we can try and help find some resources for you as well.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My stepfather verablie abuses me everyday and today on august 3rd he smashed my phone cuz i was trying to do dishes like my mom asked then got mad because i barley hit his chest so he grabbed me and pushed me down but because i went to hit him when he grabbed me he says I'm in the wrong. am I in the wrong? also if i was to run away in Michigan where could I go?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

We're very sorry to hear your sister has been mistreated and still seems to be in a currently unsafe situation. What you are describing definitely could count as abuse. That must have been very shocking for you to hear.

To answer your question directly: While we are not legal experts from what we know you or your sister can at least file an abuse report about what's happened in the past in addition to anything that may currently be going on. A report usually leads to an investigation by CPS and they will then determine what they feel the best course of action is. If a report is made it would be a good idea to be as detailed as possible about everything that has happened. While it helps to have direct evidence in an abuse report, it is not necessary.

If you or your sister would like to report abuse you can do that through us, through the state's child abuse reporting hotline, or through www.childhelp.org (1-800-422-4453).

Whatever you decide we encourage you to share our contact information with your sister and mention that we are a confidential hotline. Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a confidential chat room that can be found on our website: www.1800runaway.org.

All the best,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X