No announcement yet.

Can my step-dad hit me?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my step-dad hit me?

Dose my step dad have the right to hit me for being "disrespectful" or not doing what he asked

Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS! It takes courage to tell us a bit about what’s going on at home. It is definitely not okay for your step-dad to hit you, regardless if he said you were being disrespectful or not doing what he asked. You should never be hit. We’re so sorry you’re going through that at home. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. You’re able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. NRS is able to conference call with you if you need help making the abuse report, or we can make one for you.
    Talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.
    Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

that is nice to know ill keep that in mind!

Comment

So today after school, my step dad just went ballistic. He got angry because I had to small clothes under my bed. After trying to explain he gets frustrated, then says, "i'm taking all your stuff." (Meaning my phone, tv, collectables, blah blah.) I was frustrated. He then told me to go bring the trash in from the driveway, so I went in my closet, got my shoes, and stormed off. He then runs out of my room, pushes me against a wall, thenscreams, "Oh you wanna have an attitude huh?" And he's holding me up by my shirt, and is choking me. It last for about 25 seconds, and I'm crying, and trying to say, "I can't breathe." He then lets me go, then I walk downstairs where my mother is. I ask her for the key to our backyard, (So I can take the trash can back there) and she says, "Fix your face, wipe your tears, and stop acting like you can't breathe." I'm tryina tell her that, he husband, just choked me, and I couldn't breathe, so breathing right now is hard. She responds, "Maybe you should have cleaned your room better!" This is the 2nd time this is happen, but my mother has never actually seen him choke me, and I don't wanna say this, but I am kind of scared for my life. I honestly rather be at school right now.

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult situation right now. You should never have to feel unsafe in your home. What you have described could be a form of abuse. If you would like to make an abuse report you can call The Child Help Line at- 1800-422-4453. We know that sometimes making abuse reports can be scary if you would like our help you can call us at any time and we would be happy to help you. If you feel like you are in danger you can always call 911, and an officer would be able to help you. You could consider talking to your mother in private about what has been happening and how you are feeling unsafe. We know that having these conversations can be scary, at NRS we offer conference calling. With conference calling you call us and we can call out to your mother. With conference calling we help provide support and help mediate the conversation. Another option could be to talk to your school counselor about what is going on, sometimes talking to a professional can help us feel better.
          We hope this information will be helpful in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to talk more about what is going on please feel free to give us a call we are here 24/7. We wish you the best of luck and remember to please stay strong!
          NRS

I'm 38 I can't fight my step dad cause of my mom's heart condition from copd and I'm afraid of I get on him I won't stop from doing more then hurt him and not know it plz help

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re going through a difficult and precarious situation. It might be a good idea to brainstorm ways to remove yourself from whatever the situation so that you have time to cool yourself down to a place where you can make effective decisions. If you or someone in your household are struggling with mental health issues, it might be a good idea to reach out to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) at 1-877-726-4727. If you feel like you or your mother are in any immediate danger, we encourage you to call out to 911. Unfortunately, we are a youth in crisis hotline so our services are tailored to those up to age 21.

Best of luck and take care,
          NRS

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        So today after school, my step dad just went ballistic...
        My stepdad did the same thing a couple weeks ago only after i pushed him off and got away he chased me into my room and i had to punch and kick to get him off. Then I got blamed for it happening... -_-

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services. You can always reach out to us at (800)786-2929 or online through our chat options at www.1800runaway.org . We hope to hear from you.
          Thank you, NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X