No announcement yet.

What will happen if I ran away and get caught

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom and step dad treat me differently then the rest of my siblings I tried to take my life by overdosing but all it did was make me dizzy and drowsy so my mom thought I was on drugs and told everyone about me, then she yells at me and says my life is a screw up. They make me scrub floors 24/7 and they make me clean and watch there kids like its my responsibilities, I make dinner everyday and no one appreciates what I do, I tried to call social services on them I don't want to be here no more, I have a learning disability and they were getting frustrated with me and my school work and so my mother sent me to my room and said I can't come out until I learn how to be normal, an when I asked hours later to come out she told me if she let's me out then I'm gonna cleaning the house until she says I can take a break. I really wanna runaway but I dont know what's gonna happen, will I get in trouble??please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS

Hello im going through alot and wanted to harm myself but i just dont wanna do that my stepdad is mulipative and is verbally abusive i want to run away but dont have my phone and is scared of what would dhappen. if i ran away what would happen and would i get in any illegal trouble ? and also my sister wanted to go with mw so how would that work.I jus need to leave and get time out of here they got me in a tight space and i just need time to myself and got a place i can stay. PLease tell me what i could do and is it smart and if i can take my sister need to know by a tmmr

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello –

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes great courage to reach out. I’m sorry to hear that life at home has led you to want to run away, that sounds like a difficult situation to deal with.

Having a place to stay to ensure that you are safe is very important. While we are not legal experts, running away is not considered illegal. However, since you are a minor, your guardians have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home unless you express to them that you live in an unsafe environment. If you left home and decided to stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. To learn more about the process of running away and being able to enroll in school without your legal guardian’s permission, you can also call the National Center of Homeless Education Hotline at 1-800-308-2145.

If you would like to discuss the reasons as to why you want to runaway or you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope the information provided helps. Remember we are available 24/7 and can be toll-free reached at the number listed above. We are confidential, anonymous, and non-direct.

Best Wishes
      ~NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X