Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family issues

Is there any way I could get taken away from my mother ?

I know the most common and probably the only way for a child to get taken away from their parents is physical abuse or neglect. I don't get abused physically or neglected but I have a hard time at home. My mom makes fun of me most of the time, she calls me all kinds of horrible names, she says things that a mother shouldn't say to her own child. She makes me feel bad about myself. She always yells and screams at me. I'm almost 17 and I feel like I have no way out. I desperately want to be taken away but I don't think I can bc I'm not physically abused. My stepdad takes pills and he's just like my mom, he makes fun of me, he brings me down, he mocks. I feel like suicide is the only answer for my way out but I don't want to do that. Is there a way I can be taken away please ? Please help

Hey there,

We're sorry to hear that your mom says hurtful things to you. You don't deserve that. However, yes, in most cases you do have to be removed from your home by an authority person if you are a minor under the age of 18. In most cases, it's not exactly possible to be able to leave home and choose where you want to live. It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

Take good care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello I am 21 years old and my parents are mean to me since I was a child and they torture me and isolate me. Im 21 now and have some money to live but have no job at the moment. My mom is not smart she almost wants to hurt my dad they are going bankrupt soon do I runaway because they are yelling at me for the most random reasons I always have anxiety here and not the best social person because I was bullied at school and my parents never taught me anything;( help me pls?

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Please see our response to your similar post:

"Hello there, thanks for reaching out. It must be really hard to live with mean and hurtful family members. Bullying is never okay, and you deserve better than that.

Since you are 21 years old, you can legally move out without being considered a runaway if your parents do not have extended guardianship over you. You mentioned having some money to move out. That is awesome! If you haven’t already, you might start applying for jobs so you can have enough income to support yourself. Sometimes it can be really helpful financially to find a roommate, or to stay with other family members.

Sound like this has been taking a big toll on you and you are having trouble being social at school. If you haven’t already, you might consider talking to a trusted friend or counselor about how you are feeling. You should not have to go through this alone. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are here to listen and help as best we can. We can provide you with support and look for local low to no cost counseling resources for you in your area.

We wish you the best with everything!

-NRS"
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X