Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is kinda random, but I need help....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is kinda random, but I need help....

Hey, um.... So I have a friend who's parents are divorced and every other weekend he has to, by law, go to his fathers house. His father is a total a****** (sorry for the language) and has a lot of issues staying there for reasons I'd rather not go into here. He has tried multiple times to get the court to stop forcing him to go there every other weekend but they do not think his opinion is important in any way, shape or form. He has thought up a plan to run away, now its not for very long, only for the weekend(s) he has to go to his fathers. He has a friend who's parents said he can come there anytime he is in need to. I fully support him with his plan because his father isn't fit to be a legal guardian in anyway at all. But there is one problem that I came to ask you people about. Now I should say now that he is age 14 and the plan could easily get him into, legal trouble. His plan involves taking one of his dads cars in order to get to this friends home that he will be staying at. I know the answer is probably a yes but... Is that illegal for him to do, and if so, can he get arrested for it? I know he should be posting this not me, but he is my best friend and I would be torn apart if anything bad were to happen to him... Please reply asap, as he kinda wants to do this soon.... Thank you for your time....

RE: thi si skinda random, but i need help....

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safline. It sounds like your friends dad is not somewhere where your friend wants to be. It must be hard for him to constantly reach out to the courts for help and to not have anyone support him. It is awesome that you and his other friends are there for him during this difficult time. It sounds like he is really lucky to have you guys right now. You asked some good questions and it sounds like you are concerned about your friend. We are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms what might happen.

To start off with running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that he cannot leave without his parents’ permission because of his age (being under 18 ). If he were to leave, then his parents would have the right to file a runaway report with the police. Anyone that he stays with could be charged with harboring a runaway by the police or by his parents. So it sounds like if his parents or the police have an idea that he may be at the friend’s house, then they could possibly be charged.

You also mentioned that the plan involved taking his dads car to get to his friend’s house. It sounds like your friend is willing to do what he needs to do in order to get to a place that is loving and supporting of him. In terms of taking his dads car, one thing to be aware of is that if he decides to take the car, his dad could possibly report the car as stolen giving the car VIN number to the police or the license plate number. It is up to his dad or the police if he will be arrested or charged for that. To recap, generally he cannot be arrested for running away, if he steals his dad’s car then there could be more severe consequences.

We hoped that this helped and if you would like to discuss your friends issue or if he would, he can always call us on our hotline or you can chat with us during out chat hours. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Thank you

Hey, its been a while I know but me and my friend were taking some time to figure out a way to make this work without legal trouble, because knowing his dad, he'd probably try to get him sent away and out of his life the first chance he got... But we ended up figuring out a plan that should work. Anyway, I came back to say thank you so much for the help. You have no idea how much it means to us that you took your time to help out as soon as you could. So again thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

Comment

RE: Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for your response. We are glad to hear that you guys have been coming up with a plan. We are here to listen and support you in what ways that we can. If you guys ever feel like you need someone to talk to, look up resources, or go over options with you and more, you can always give us a call on our hotline or you can chat with us during out business hours. Again thank you for the kind words and we wish both of you the best of luck.

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X