No announcement yet.

I want to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to leave

    So for a while my mother has been verbally and sometimes physically abusive its only happened twice though... I dont feel comfortable living with her she makes me hate myself. At one point I got to the point of attempting suicide because of her. I don't know how much longer I can take I'm thinking about going to the police station tonight and telling them that I can't stay with her anymore because I dont feel safe but I'm scared they'll just send me back home I'm old enough to get emancipated but I know my mother won't let that happen... If I got to the police what will they do? Will I get sent to foster care or my biological fathers(even though he lives in a studio apartment)? Can I talk to the police about getting me emancipated? Please help I dont know what to do

  • #2
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been experiencing abuse at home from your mother and you do not feel safe there anymore. You mentioned that you were thinking about going to the police to report, which is your right. You be no means deserve to be abused in anyway by anyone. We want you to know that you do have the right to make a report with Child Protective Services. Child Help USA is an information and referral line that can connect you with your local CPS abuse hotline. That number is 1-800-422-4453. If you ever felt like making a report or needed help, we are here to assist with that. We understand that making an abuse report can be intimidating so if you like we can call together to provide support.
    It also sounds like you have some questions regarding child protective services and foster care system. The goal of CPS is not to tear families apart or to just take children from their homes. CPS’s main concern is protecting children by any means necessary. Once an agent assess a youth’s house for potential danger or neglect they then have the authority to decide the fate of that family. This is not to say that the end result is going to end in the youth being removed from the home. That is typically left for cases of extreme abuse or neglect. In other cases the case worker could call for the parents to undergo family counseling, anger management, parenting classes or something along those lines, where the children remain in the household but the family is monitored periodically. Even in cases where the agent deems that the home is an unsafe place for the youth, this does not mean that youth is going to be placed in a group home or foster care. If the child in question has a relative or close family friend that can take them in, then their house could be a potential temporary placement. It should also be noted that just because one child is experiencing abuse or neglect this does not mean that all of the children in that home are. So in cases like this then the worker might just have the one child who is having a negative experience be removed from the home.
    We wanted to give you this information so that you can make the best informed decision for yourself. We can also help advocate for you, all you have to do is just give us a phone call and one of our liners would be happy to assist you. 1-8200-786-2929
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp