Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am moving out in less than 12 hours.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am moving out in less than 12 hours.

Hi, I'm really nervous for what's about to happen. I know there a lot of kids on here with more serious problems than me, but I just wanted to give my story a little bit to see what people think. I'm a 14 year old living in minnesota. At about 10 o'clock last night me and my mother had a huge fight and we came to the conclusion that I am going to move in with my father who lives about an hour away. Me and mother had a very rocky relationship starting with when she and my dad got divorced. We'd pretty much have a verbal fight about every week ending with me breaking something because I can't hold my anger in anymore. Shes laid her hands on me before and so have I, but never anything too serious and I've never really felt abused in anyway. I'm really not sure what to think since this happened so rapidly, and I'm very nervous and scared at the same time. I've been very depressed lately and I'm not sure if the move is a good thing or a bad thing. I really feel bad for my mother too because she can be really nice if she tries, but as bad as it sounds and as rude as it sounds I'm really sick of her ********. She pretty much knows what "triggers" me and I feel like she purposely does it to make me mad so she can blame something on me. She's the kind of person that is very hypocritical and takes no responsibility for her actions. I may be being rude, sorry, but I honestly feel this way. Anyways a couple of hours ago at 1 I called my father because he works a night shift, and said he could pick me up at ten and I should pack for him. When I told my mom though, she acted surprised like she didn't know I was serious and this really made me mad as well. I'm very nervous and am probably not going to get any sleep tonight. I'm open to any suggestions and criticism if you want. Thanks for reading.

Hello,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you at home with your mother. We can provide you with some things to think about, but it’s our approach to not give you advice and we certainly won’t be criticizing or judging what you’ve shared with us.

You show a lot of self-awareness of the communication and conflict resolution challenges you have with your mother as well as your own depression. Sometimes people don’t know understand what triggers them to act out. Not sure if you’ve tried this yet, but it may be worth talking to a counselor to learn some anger management strategies or talk to your mother about some joint counseling so you can both feel better about how you communicate and resolve conflicts.

You haven’t shared much about your relationship with your father. Before you go forward with this move, it can be worth thinking through any concerns you have about living with your father or other changes you may not have considered yet (i.e., your school and/or work situation). Hopefully, you expect you’ll be able to better communicate with your father and that he will be able to provide you with what you need.
    You’ve also shared that you’re very nervous. It can be worth exploring if you’re more excited about moving in with your father or afraid that you’re missing an opportunity to make things better with your mother. Based on how you describe your mother’s reaction, she may have been surprised that you actually are planning to go through with moving in with your father. If you are having second thoughts about this, it may be worth discussing this with your mother assuming you think you can have a calm conversation about this.

We can’t tell you what to do, but we will do our best to think through these options. You’re welcome to reach out to us 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We’re also available via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We wish you the very best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X