No announcement yet.

I'm 18 and leaving the house in Texas

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 18 and leaving the house in Texas

    I've just turned 18 and was wondering if it's possible if my parents can call the cops and file a missing person report?

    I still have braces on (nearly done), so if I ran away, could that hold me back?

    Is it ok if I took money out of my own bank account (even if it's under my parent's name)?

    I finished high school and currently have a job. I plan to leave the house without my parent's notice next week.

    I can't find my birth certificate nor my SSN. I know it's possible to re-order them, so I'm not exactly all that worried.

    Please pray and/or wish me luck. It's a big step in my life and I need everything I can.

    My mother planned on restricting me in the household until I was 20, which is BS. Which is why I'm moving out so suddenly.

    I feel bad for my sister. I'm going to miss her. I hope they don't take their anger out on her. I hope she'll be okay. She's 15 going 16 this September.

    Please pray and/or wish her luck too. If they try to restrict her in the household when she's 18 too, I told her that I'd bail her out (but I doubt it because she's very smart and will most likely go to a big college/university).

  • #2

    Thank you for reaching out and posting on our forum. We are here to help however we can. It sounds like you are ready to move out, and it was really smart to reach out for help before leaving. Since you are 18 years old, you are considered a legal adult, so it is perfectly legal for you to move out and your parents have no legal authority to stop you. If you don't tell them where you are and are suddenly missing, they could file a missing persons report with the police. However, if they do know that you left on your own, the police would not take a report. You may consider letting your mom or someone in your family know you are leaving, since there is nothing she can do to prevent you from doing that legally. You may want to think about what things you depend on your parents for. Sounds like you still have your braces on. If you don't have the money to pay for your braces yourself, you might think about waiting until they are off, because your parents could drop you from insurance or refuse to pay your medical bills. Social Security Cards and birth certificates can be replaced, but you may find it extremely difficult to replace one without having the other. These are very important documents that you will need throughout your life, so if it is at all possible you will want to bring them with you. Again, you are entitled to your documents and your parents have no legal authority to make you stay at home or to keep your documents from you, so it may be worthwhile to ask them to give you your documentation. If you don't have an ID, you might want to get one before you leave home. You can also call your bank and see if you can transfer your money to a new account that you own in your own name, so that your parents can't close you out of your accounts, or cancel your cards, or take your money or see what transactions you are making. You may also want to think about where you are going to stay and how you will survive. You can also think about what kinds of things you depend on your parents to provide, like medical care or tuition expenses if you are going to school, and how you will provide for that yourself. If you need any help or resources, or you would like to talk about your situation, don't hesitate to give us a call any time 24/7 or chat with us online. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif