Free Ride?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ride?

Dear NRS, I have my plan worked out, but I have one thing I need help with. I have a place to go, but I need a way to get there. I was told to ask a trusted place for a free ride, such as a school or church. But I don't believe that they would drive a complete stranger 30 minutes away without contacting my parents or sending me away.

I also know about the free greyhound ticket. But if I do qualify, and I do get the ticket, it will come in the mail, my parents will find it, and I'd be in trouble.

The last option I was given was to sell things, which I can't do, because I have literally nothing, and I'm under my parents' watch 24/7.

Is there any other way to get a ride a distance away without getting my parents involved? I forgot to add also that I can't ask any friends to help out either.

Another question I have is can you find a new home through a shelter? I saw a topic about this in the forum, but I wanted a clearer answer. Can you ask a shelter to hook you up with a better place to live, such as a group home or new family? Some shelters I've looked at said its possible, but I wanna make sure. I know there's lots of legal work, but I don't want to end up back with my family. I can't. If I do, who knows what will happen to me. Thanks in advance for your help ✨

Hello there, it sounds like you are planning on running away and are in need of a ride. We do have a program called Home Free where we can help qualifying runaway and homeless youth return home. Just so you know that program is a family reunification program, so it sounds like it would not be an option for you as you are wanting to use it to run away.

We do have shelter resources here if you ever need. If you call or chat us, we can look to see if there are any in your area. It sounds like you are wanting to find a new home through a shelter. There are longer stay shelters which are called Transitional Living Programs (TLPs) for older youth; which are places to help you work on your individual skills so you can be self-sufficient when you leave the program. If you call or chat us, we can also look for those in your area.

It sounds like you have a lot of planning to do around your safety and transportation. It also seems like you want to know what your options are at this point. If you call or chat us, we can get a better understanding of your situation and try to brainstorm additional options and look for helpful resources for you. We are non-directive, non-judgmental, and here to help.

Stay safe,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X