Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My parents are practically keeping me hostage!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents are practically keeping me hostage!

I'm 18 and about to turn 19 and my parents don't let me go out anywhere. They never let me out of their sight. They don't even let me go to my grandma's house. Can they do this even if I'm legal.

re: My parents are practically keeping me hostage!

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way we can. It is brave that you are able to reach out to us and share this information with us.

From what you shared, it seems like you are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the way your parents have been treating you. Unfortunately, here at NRS, we are not legal experts but we can speak generally about your situation. In most states, you would no longer be considered a minor because you are 18, which means that you no longer need consent of your parents as to where you can live or go.

If you would like to talk a little more about your situation, please feel free to give us a call here at the National Runaway Safeline and we would be more than happy to talk about some options with you. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X