No announcement yet.

Can my parents sell things I paid for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my parents sell things I paid for?

I'm 17 years old and I got in trouble for being out after state curfew. For this, my parents have closed my checking account, made me quit my job, and they are planning on selling my car. Since I am moving away in a little over ten months for college, I'm just curious if my parents can actually sell things that I've paid for? Like.. on a legal standpoint. Is there any way I can keep this from happening? There is a loan on the car, and my dad is my cosigner and I have been paying that loan with no help from my parents. With the loan, he would have a hard time selling the vehicle anyways.

My parents are dead set about my "punishment" and they are very hard people to reason with.

re: Can my parents sell things I paid for?

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds like you are going through some stressful situations at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help.

You make a good point about somethings, and it’s great you’re doing your research and seeking help – very smart. We are not legal experts here, but we can speak generally about your situation, each state (county, and even city) has its own different laws. To clarify, it’d be best to call in and answer some of our questions to further assist and speed up the process. Things like where you live, how close are you to turning 18, where do you plan on living, etc. are all important questions. Another option could be to contact your local police department where you would be able to ask some general questions.

Our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929); we’re 24/7 and always willing to help. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-1:30PM (CST) that you can find in the upper-right hand portion of our website (www.1800runaway.org). We can help provide plenty of legal references and other advise to you no problem. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X