No announcement yet.

16 Moving out / Legal issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Moving out / Legal issues

    I am 16 years old. My mother lives out of the country with her husband she remarried. She is well off now and supports me tremendously with finances, sort of like a child support. My father and I live in the same house in a different country than her, but he is currently mentally abusive to me in an extreme level and our house is foreclosing, he's also an alcoholic . My mother says that if I get a job where I can pay for all my gas for my car, entertainment costs, and my car insurance she will pay the expenses to rent me an apartment & the utilities. I have applied to over 15 jobs and an looking as hard as I can. Should I take this deal or will I feel too stressed out? I have really good grades in school and am super responsible. If my dad ends up moving states due to the foreclosure can I stay in this state by myself without being emancipated?

  • #2
    Reply: 16 Moving out / Legal issues

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your guardian’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling.

    The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options.
    In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently.
    Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees.
    We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

    Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

    Be safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp