No announcement yet.

Need to save my lovers life! please help!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need to save my lovers life! please help!

    Hello i am a 17 year old boy who wants to help my boyfriend who is transgender and forgive my grammar. So I am in a relationship with someone who is transgender and is not accepted in the household and is mentally abused by his brother and his father. And he lives in Texas and i live in Washington and he wants to move here and me and my mom want him to live here cause he'll get the support needed and the education as well but he 16 and can't just get on a plane and come here. Cause of how his father shackles him and i'm looking for answers to save my lover cause tonight he cutted his arm 7 times and i fear the worst since i'm not there and because he has not one bit of support in Texas while here in Washington he has my mom who will house, clothe, feed, and teach him how to drive and do things for adulthood so can anyone help me have my boyfriend come here where he'll live a better life?

  • #2
    RE: Need to save my lovers life! please help!

    Hello there-

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. You sound like a very compassionate individual who cares deeply for your partner. It is such an unfortunate thing to hear that they are being mistreated at home due to lack of acceptance. Everyone deserves to live in a safe, supportive, and loving environment. It must be very stressful and disheartening for you to hear what your partner goes through. It is great to hear that your partner does have support from you, regardless of the distance between you both. We understand that you would like to do more, and we hope that we can help you out as best as we can.

    It sounds like there is a barrier for your partner to move and live with you in Washington due to his age and laws around guardianship. We are not legal experts, but can speak generally. Because your partner is under the age of 18 (most states set the age of majority at 18 years old), their legal guardian is responsible for their care until they reach the age of majority in their state of origin. Once an individual becomes 18, they are considered their own legal guardian and may choose to leave home (again in most states). With that being said, if your partner were to leave home without permission and their father/guardian were to file a runaway report, the police most often would attempt to bring them home. Additionally, any individual involved in harboring or assisting a runaway may be charged with a criminal offense as it is illegal to do so. This means that your mother may run the risk of facing legal charges if she housed your partner without parental consent from your partner’s father. Laws do vary from state to state, so it may be helpful to contact your local non-emergency police department to find out more specific answers on how runaway cases are dealt with as well as legal rights to a sixteen year old.

    It seems that your partner really needs emotional support as they may not be receiving that from home as you mentioned their brother and father mistreat them because of their identity.

    There are various hotlines and resources for your partner such as the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Helpline at 1-888-340-4528. Staff are available Mon-Fri, 6pm-11pm (EST). The GLBT Helpline provides crisis intervention, information, and referrals. If you believe your partner's coping mechanism of cutting may escalate to something more serious, it may be helpful to suggest utilizing the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) which operates 24/7. It is a great resource for your partner as well as yourself because it is also for family and friends who are concerned about a loved one. The Trevor Project Helpline also provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24, available 24/7 at 1-866-488-7386.

    Please know that we are here to listen and to help. You or your partner are encouraged to call us any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you soon. We wish you the best.

    Take care,

    National Runaway Safeline
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 03-23-2015, 02:19 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif