Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother ran away!

My younger brother (14) skipped school today and didnt come home. Mom noticed his clothes missing so we looked around for him and called relatives. We just filed a report. My parents don't speak much english so I have to translate. Are the police gonna come interview my parents or do i have to do all the talking over phone? Also will they ask lots of questions? There was some fighting a few days ago and I don't want my dad to get in trouble...

RE: My brother ran away!

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We imagine things may be scary and stressful for you right now. It sounds like you and your family have been very proactive in trying to find your brother especially by filing a report and reaching out to other family members. Filing the report is very important, and we are glad to hear that you did. From what you are sharing, it sounds like you are worried about the types of questions that the police may ask and fear that your father may get into trouble because of a fight earlier this week.

We cannot say if your father will get into trouble because we are not legal experts, but if there is conflict at home, the police and other agencies can provide support to you and your family to work through some difficult times. It sounds like things at home may be challenging at the moment. Many families go through difficult times and sometimes just need a little support and guidance. Various agencies can offer counseling and other supportive services to help better things within your family. If there has been some fighting going on at home, it may be beneficial to utilize services to help with family dynamics and communication.

In regards to amount of questions, it is uncertain of how many questions will be asked by the police, but generally the police will ask specific details and traits about your brother, may request a recent photo of him, any recent problems he may be experiencing, as well anything that you and your family noticed that may be affecting him (whether at home or school). Generally, the more information that the police know, the more that they can help. You mentioned filing a report already. It seems that the police may have asked the necessary questions already. We are uncertain if they will make a visit to your home, but it may be a possibility.

We imagine that it may be difficult for you to have to take on the responsibility of translating and providing information to the police. It must be overwhelming for you right now. We encourage you to call us at our 24-hour hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to talk more about what you are experiencing if you would like. You can also chat with us on our website, www.1800runaway.org, from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time, every day. We are here to listen and to help.

We hope this helps a bit and hope to hear from you soon.

We wish you the best,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 03-21-2015, 05:08 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X