Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to leave at 18

I come from a good home, not much abuse aside from some verbal remarks from my mom, but every family has its flaws. I wasn't thinking about seriously leaving until a few months ago, when some legal conflicts happened between my boyfriend and me, causing my parents to make us break up. I'm not mad at them by any means for punishing me, I'm just irritated because of they way they've handled this crisis so immaturely. Anyway, they've known for a while that I've been wanting to attend college out of state (I am currently a sophomore in high school) and are doing everything in their power to make it impossible for me. My mother is tying up my savings in our joint bank account that we opened a few years ago, as well as taking my paychecks, as I'm being paid as a maid and am not enlisted for taxes. I want to move to Utah, to attend college and to be closer to my boyfriend, which my parents are openly supportive of. I will have absolutely zero financial or emotional support in my decision to move, and I currently have no money to my name, with no way of saving money without my parents' attention. I'm looking into expenses of out of state college, rent, utilities, etc., and it's not looking good with my current state. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

It sounds like you are focused right now on trying to move out of state for college, but you are realizing it will be hard to save money for it on your own. It's great that you are planning ahead. And you seem really responsible. Unfortunately, unless you are applying for financial aid for college, it may be hard to gain funds to attend school. There usually aren't resources that will help you pay for college besides getting a job or financial aid. Maybe you could talk with the financial office at a potential school you are looking into to see if they have any suggestions.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X