X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im 17 and i turn 18 in a few months and I want to runaway

Hi
    I'm 17 and I turn 18 in roughly 5 months but being at home as become very hard my parents are always calling me names and making me feel like I am worthless. We recently got In an argument because they found out that I've been having sex with my boyfriend​ and they have been threatening to assault him and they have been conspiring behind my back to send me to live in Kansas, but I don't want to go my life is here in Colorado and if I do go I won't be able to come back when I turn 18 I'll have no way because my parents will not let me get my permit or my license. I'm contemplating running away because I have people who will help support me till I am 18 but my parents will not cooperate because they want complete control over me. I'm planning on running away in two weeks but I'm worried that it may legally affect me in a few months months when I turn 18. So I guess my question is are there any legal consequences after I turn 18 for running away?

Thank you, so much, for reaching out and posting about what is going on in your life right now – which sounds like it is very difficult. Sorry to hear that things at home are hard. No one deserves to be called names or to be made feel like they are worthless. It sounds like you’ve put thought into leaving home – where you would go/stay, whether you’ll need money and where that will come from, and how to stay safe. Your question about legal consequences is a good one. While we are not legal experts, we can certainly speak in generalities – if you are under the “age of majority” (a legal term meaning when you are considered an adult), which is 18 in Colorado (it differs by state), then your parents could try to file a runaway report. Sometimes parents don’t choose or think to do this. Also, we have heard that 17 can often be a grey area, meaning that if your parents do try to file a runaway report, the police may not take it since you are so close to being 18. If your parents do file a runaway report, and the police do take a runaway report it is considered a status offence, so not a misdemeanor or felony or anything that would go on your record and/or effect you in a negative way after you turn 18…that we know of. Again, we are not legal experts. We do have resources for attorney if you would be interested in asking more specific legal questions. You are also welcome to call if this response makes you think of more questions or if you’d like to talk through your situation, consider your options and establish a plan of action. We are here to listen and here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X