Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to run away but don't know where to go

Okay so I'm 15 and I'm planning to run away because my house feels like a prison. My family doesn't trust me and all I want is to be alone (but I can't ). I want to live with my dad, but he lives a thousand miles away and my mom doesn't want me to live with him. I'm planning to run away, but I don't have any money and I'm worried about getting caught. I don't want to be found after I leave and so I'm not really sure what to do. I have anxiety and depression with psychosis, and I've been in a psychiatric hospital twice. I've already decided that I'm going to leave I just don't know where to go.

Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home right now. Home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

Thank you for sharing the details of your situation with us so that we can better support you. You mentioned that you have anxiety and depression and have had to go to the hospital a couple of times for this. One thing you may want to consider, if you do choose to leave home, is how you will continue to care for yourself, both physically and mentally. For example, if you currently take medicines, do you have a way to continue to get access to them from a pharmacy or save up several month’s worth. It’s important that no matter what you decide, that you are safe and healthy.

You also mentioned that you are considering running away. It’s understandable to look for options given your current home life. If you were to run away, you have some options. For example, you could see if you could stay with a friend or family member, with your mom’s permission. While we are not legal experts, generally speaking if you were to run away or leave home without your mom’s permission they could file a runaway report and if the police found you, they could make you go back home. So when considering your options of staying somewhere else, for things to settle down at home, getting your mom’s permission would help you. You also mentioned that you would like to live with your dad but your mom doesn’t want that. If your mom has sole custody over you, you would need her permission to stay with your dad.

Other options are we could also help you look up youth shelters or alternative living arrangements (ALAs) in your area. You have many options available to you and we are here to support you.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

this is not a reply i just don’t know how to comment normal i’m going to run away right now but i have no where to go i need to get away from my aunt and live with my mom but she lives 3 hours away

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9
        Super Moderator
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X