Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly abusive dad (maybe)...

Hi. I'm 13, and for a while, I've wanted to run away. I'd never even considered it, until recently.

So basically, my family is impossible. I know a lot of teens say this, but I mean it. My mom isn't really a problem... at all, though she is really protective. My dad is the problem. He always tears me down, makes me feel like crap. He disregards my winning as luck, he says I'll never be anything, and a bunch of other stuff. It makes me feel like a failure, like I would be better off dead (which he has implied) But, worst of all, he is EXTREMELY controlling. I can't do anything without him knowing exactly what's going to happen, and when. I have to things on his time. If I want to try a new sport, or an instrument, he would make me do nothing but practice for hours. Once he made me practice the flute so hard I almost fainted. Plus, he harasses me with questions I don't feel comfortable answering, and math questions I don't know how to solve, and when I can't solve it, he laughs, and says all these bad things or brags about how good he is at math. I always feel never when he talks to me. I feel like I can't escape him.

Plus, my brothers are nuts. They fight like wolves and constantly tear each other down... it stresses me out.

The worst thing is, they have no idea they're doing it. Never in a million years would I tell my dad, or brothers how I felt...

Help?

(Sorry for long post thingy)
    (Also sorry if I'm being dramatic, I do that a lot)

Hey,

So you say your dad is being really overbearing and controlling for you. We can imagine how frustrating that is to deal with. You mentioned you wouldn't ever tell your dad and brothers how you feel, but maybe you could talk with your mom. Or possibly a school counselor or therapist about some strategies to cope with your home life. If you feel you need to talk and have no one else, you are welcome to call or chat with us. Let us know what we can do.

In the meantime, take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X