Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the state

I'm 17 in Northern California. I have a couple part-time jobs, I'm an A student, and with fear of sounding conceited, I'm generally just a great kid. One friend's parents went as far as to ask me to hang around their two sons, just to be a good influence.

The city I live in is owned by Satan, proverbially speaking. That is to say this place is hell, not to say anything crazy.

Since the beginning of time, I've always found peace and comfort in the homes of other family members out of state. My home life in California isn't bad per se, but my life in general is, well, bad. I desperately want to go to Idaho with my family, but my dad won't even let me spend a few days up there this summer. The closer I get to 18, the tighter the leash gets.

Some days, I feel like just living here is a threat to my life and well-being. I'm continually depressed here at home. These feelings are nothing new, I've been dealing with them since I was 8 years old. I've spent months at a time in Boise without feeling any sort of depression, which leads me to believe my environment is a key factor to my depression, and I'd love nothing more than to leave.

Is there any way I can get out of here without convincing my dad? If not, what can I do to convince my dad to be 200% less controlling, to the point where he's willing to just let me go?

Thank you!!

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like have been dealing with the depression of being at home for a while.
    The easiest way to leave home that we know of, is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. It is great that you have your family away from your family’s house that you can stay at. Having that time away from home can sometimes help you deal with the stress and pressures associated with it.
    Alternatively perhaps you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your parents to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides or convince anyone of one certain thing but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your parents not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
    It sounds like you are the kind of kid that others want to be associated with and we are glad that you reached out this evening. Again, thank you for reaching out to us and we hope this information helps. If you feel comfortable you can give us a call anytime 1-800- 786-2929
    Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X