I'm so terrified right now I don't know what to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so terrified right now I don't know what to do

I am 11 years old, living with both my parents and 3 siblings, aged 9, 7, and 5. My dad is being really cruel to us right now. Last night, he forced me to sit in a chair and not do my homework, and he wouldn't let me go to bed until I finished my homework, even though it was 11:30. And this morning, my brother said that he needed some fresh air and went outside to get some, but my dad yelled, "GET YOUR BUTT IN HERE!! NOW!!!" and when my brother got close to the door, my dad grabbed him by the arm and yanked him in. I'm so scared and want to run away from home. I've been planning it for months now. I don't know what to do. Please help me.

Re: I'm so terrified right now I don't know what to do

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in contact with us today. It sounds like you’re having a tough time with your dad and what you mentioned seems scary and pretty cruel. You definitely don’t deserve to be treated like that and we’re sorry that you’re having to go through this.

Firstly, you mentioned that he won’t let you go to bed until you’ve done your homework. This sounds unfair and it’s not cool that he’s making you stay up that late. One option may be to try and start your homework earlier just to ensure this doesn’t happen. While that’s just one option, and might be hard based on other variables, that is just one suggestion we can offer. It also sounds unfair that your brother is being yelled at for what seems like no reason. Sometimes it may help to talk to someone else about this like a trusted adult, friend or other family member. While it may also be hard because it sounds like your dad can be pretty controlling, it might help to talk to him about how you’re feeling as well.

It sounds like you are considering leaving because of this situation at home. If you do decide to leave you can always call us to talk more about a plan, talk through other options as well as get resources and support from us. There are a few things that can be helpful to think about when making your decision of leaving home or staying:

•What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
    •What would make me stay at home?
    •Who can I count on to help me?
    •Have I given this enough thought?
    •What are my other options?
    •If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
    •When I return home, what will happen?

We hope this helps and we’re sorry you’re going through all this. We're here to support you. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X