No announcement yet.

I am 16 and going to turn 17 in September and i want to leave my house please help

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am 16 and going to turn 17 in September and i want to leave my house please help

    I am 16 years old and going to be 17 years old in September and need help people tell me that i cannot run away because I will be brought right back to my parents but my step-mom abuses me mentally and sometimes physically and my father does nothing about it. I have told him that she does this on several occasions and he tells me that "she is part of the family whether you like it or not and she can do whatever i can do including disciplining you." I know she can discipline me but is hitting me in the face really a discipline? I wouldn't think so but if it is could you please tell me. I have been on probation before and don't want to be put back on it because i run away and it not be legal. I really need help. I want and need to get out of this house. Please please please help me

  • #2
    RE:I am 16 and going to turn 17 in September and i want to leave my house please help

    Hello there –

    Thank you for writing into the National Runaway Safeline on our public bulletin board. From your post, it sounds like you’re going through a very rough time right now living at home with your father or step-mother. You definitely don’t have to be treated that way. Especially when you’re at home; a place that is supposed to be a safe and loving place for you. You always have the right to report any abuse to your local police department or child protective service in your state. If you don’t feel like they will take you seriously or you might not know of how to do that, you can always call us anytime you want. There is always someone here to help you.

    From the sounds of it, it looks like you have been thinking about running away for quite a while now. Since you are under the age of majority for your state and are considered still a minor, your parents have the right to file a runaway report of you. What that means is that if a police officer were to pick you, they would see that you have a report filed under your name and take you back home or hold you until arrangements can be made to take you back home. It’s not illegal to run away, but it’s considered a status offense. But since you have been on probation before, the terms might be a little different on how they will proceed with the runaway status. Keep in mind that these are just the general rules that apply to most states, but since we aren’t legal experts we can’t say anything for certain. Every states might have different laws on how runaway children are handled; sort of a case by case thing. So you always have the option to get into contact with your local non-emergency police number and ask them hypothetical questions about runways and how they are handled in that specific state. This should give you a more direct answer.

    What do you think your father would do if you were to leave and run away from home? What do you think your overall plan will be (i.e how long would you be able to stay, transposition, financial stability, school options etc)? It might be a good idea to think about every option of your plan and even discuss your ideas/plans with the person that you are planning on staying with. If something happens and your plans change, what do you think you would do?
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove