Sixteen and Unforgivingly Done

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sixteen and Unforgivingly Done

Alright, so I'm sixteen, just by a month or so, but my parent's are always arguing and yelling at my siblings or myself. I am scared of them, honestly. They're technically my adoptive parents (my cousin and her husband by birth), and they've been that since I was about 11.
    Every time they meet my friends, they automatically hate them as well. My one friend 'Friend A', even talked to her mother when I was scared as heck about my father screaming at me, just because I asked if I was to save the leftovers or throw them away, her mother said she'd gladly adopt me as well, because no child deserves that situation. He over exaggerates everything, and even when we're having a serious conversation, I get all shaky and it's hard to breathe.
    Even just writing this, I have to make sure no one watches over my shoulder.
    I have three sisters as well, one older and two younger, but they're more 'okay whatever' with this situation.
    I have multiple plans laid out for running away, but I don't know... I want to, but I'm pretty sure my parents will catch me, and there's really no place that can hire teenagers or take them into a homeless/runaway shelter near me, without parental consent.
    I already had diagnosed depression, and I self harmed. Of course, I've stopped by now, but I still get that sinking and drowning feeling when with my family.
    I want out of here, and running away is dwindling down to being my only option here...
    Please help, I really don't know what to do.

Re: Sixteen and Unforgivingly Done

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re in a really tough situation. We're here to help you out the best that we can.

Some of the things you mentioned also sound like you’ve been thinking about this for a while and have kind of weighed out your options. It also sounds like you’ve diagnosed with depression and have harmed yourself in the past. That’s got to be pretty rough some days and it’s great that you’re seeking help, even if some of the self-harm is in the past. www.twloha.org might be a resource to look into if you are ever feeling like you are going to self-harm again. Another helpful resource to hold on to is the National Suicide Hotline at (800) 273 8255. At the National Suicide Hotline, there are trained counselors that can talk through self-harm as well.

In terms of addressing what seems to be your main concern here, it sounds like you’re considering running away. If that is something you are thinking about, one option may be to come up with a plan about how you want to go about doing that. However, just a heads up, if you decide to leave and your legal guardians decide to file a runaway report the police can return you to your legal guardian if they pick you up for whatever reason. With this in mind, there still might be options for leaving but it’s just something to be aware of.

Sometimes it also helps to talk to an adult or health professional about what’s going on. It sounds like you have been diagnosed with depression which may mean that you’ve seen a psychiatrist or doctor of some sort. This may be a good person to talk to about what’s been going on at home as well as a teacher, friend, or family member. You also mentioned one of your friend’s moms’ adopting you. We aren’t legal experts but could probably provide you legal resources if you were interested in something like that. If you call or chat us we can try to find some local resources to you.

Again, we’re really sorry you have to deal with all this and if you want to talk more about the situation, or get other resources, don’t hesitate to call or chat us. We're here to support you the best that we can.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Re: Sixteen and Unforgivingly Done

Hey again,

So it seems like there is quite a few things you need to talk about and there are potentially some options you would want to explore. We're glad that you confide in us and are able to feel comfortable enough to reach out to us again. At this point, we would encourage you to give us a call or reach out to us through our live chat system that is available 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST everyday. Our lines are open 24/7 and we will always be more than happy to talk through your options with you.

We wish you the best of luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

Stay strong,

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X