I'm tired of living with my parents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of living with my parents

I'm really fed up with living with my parents, especially my mom. I'm 16 right now. Every day I come home my parents scream and swear at me because I have bad grades and am irresponsible. I feel really depressed and hopeless whenever I'm home with my parents. Even when they aren't talking with me I feel like they're judging me. All the time my mom will make fun of me with my dad when I'm sitting in front of them. Sometimes my parents will do things just to make me feel bad for example they make me say grace in front of their adult friends and I told them beforehand that I didn't want to do it but they made me do it anyways. When I was younger my parents used to spank and hit me. One time my mom got so angry she broke a wooden yardstick in half and threw it at me. Sometimes if they get really angry they'll hit in the back of the head but not too hard. Also, my parents constantly check my phone and email and send messages without checking with me and make appointments without telling me. Sometimes they will email my teachers and not tell me and then I'm surprised when the teacher asks me about it. My mom always complains to her friends about me and make me look bad. Mostly I'm fed up with the screaming and constant arguments. It gets so stressful and I feel that its not worth sticking around and listening to them. I don't have a lot of friends because I have social anxiety and have a hard time talking to people normally and my mom always makes fun of me because of it. I try to escape the insults by playing computer games (and I'm pretty good at them) but they take them away because of my bad grades and me always arguing with them. Its a vicious cycle because the stress of me constantly arguing and the screaming makes me get bad grades and then that causes more screaming and stress. What do I do?

Reply: I'm tired of living with my parents

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you are hurt and frustrated from feeling mistreated by family. You don’t deserve any of that.
    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing some of the things that have been going on.
    It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by the behavior your parents demonstrate towards you and it has caused you to be depressed along with the feelings of hopelessness.

It is very courageous of you to reach out to NRS and express the way you feel; by doing so you’ve demonstrated a sign of hope. Good for you.
    Sometimes outside help may be explored to help when families are in crisis.
    Options such as counseling may be a tool to try and open the lines of communication.
    Does that make sense?

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    If you would like to speak more about your situation or explore some options contact NRS.
    1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (Live Chat).

We would like to hear what your thoughts might be on working on the issues you are experiencing at home, school etc.

Great job reaching out tonight. We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm tired of my parents as well...

I am a lesbian. I was adopted at 4 months old from South Korea (Gay Asians exist). I am 15 and have always felt an attraction towards girls. My freshman year, I came out to my mom who yelled at me saying that it wasn't natural and began quoting the bible. This really put me down because at the time I had a girlfriend who later broke up with me because we had to hide our relationship. My mother told me "I feel like I have failed as a parent when I look at you". I feel like I am falling into a depression. My father was not any help either. He said that he would not come to my wedding if I married a girl. I feel like I am broken or that something is wrong with me. Is being gay all that bad??? I came out to my mom a second time, thinking that she would know I am serious. She threatened to take me out of school and send me to a Christian academy. I believe in God and I go to a Christian camp every summer...being a lesbian doesn't affect my faith in God. It is just straining because I am also not allowed to text anyone that is gay or be friends with them. I NEED HELP

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thanks for reaching out to us about what you’re going through. It sounds like you’re having a tough time with your parents not accepting you for who you are. We’re sorry you’re experiencing this. We are here to listen and help the best way we can.
        You are not broken and there is nothing wrong with you. Coming out to your family can be very difficult. They may not understand or accept who you are. However, no one deserves to be shamed or isolated for this. Many people go through difficulties with coming out to their friends and family. If it would help to talk to someone who understands and has been through similar experiences, you can call the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743. There is also the LGBT National Hotline at 1-888-843-4564 or on their website www.glbthotline.org. They may also may have a list of local support groups in your area. Even though your parents may not be accepting right now, you are not alone. By finding a support system of friends and allies who accept you, it may make things easier at home.
        Again, thank you for telling us your story. You don’t deserve to feel like you are broken or wrong. Hopefully you will find a support network of amazing people you will love and accept you for who you are and not what they think you should be. Good luck and stay strong!

I have no idea how this site works, but I wish to reply to both of you.
      I am tired of my parents as well, me and my mom have a rocky relationship and she makes me so tired of everything. For the person who's above me, I am a Christian, and I know of God's unconditional love for all of his children, I see no reason why he would hate homosexuals, I wish your parents would be more accepting of that I feel trapped sometimes because of stuff in life right now, and I at a scarily degree can relate to both of you, I want to move out soon, just about 2 years until i am an adult

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thank you for sharing your support with other users. We are glad that you were able to find common ground as other users. Having the support of peers can be comforting especially during hard times. If you or anyone you know could use additional support we encourage you to give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
        Best wishes,
        NRS

Hi....so I have my exams going on and my parents especially my dad shouts at me a lot...I get into fights w my mom and dad comes and saves mom and shouts veryyyy badly at me then my younger brother is the more loved and cared by my parents...for them I don't exist and I have my maths paper Tom and I'm weak in that but my parents want really good marks which practically isn't possible...and I wake up at 4 in the morning and I slept at night 9 for 30 mins bymisby mi when my dad came and shouted at me and said a lot of bad things about me and took away everything and I hate them a lot...MY DAD ALWAYS SHOUTS AND MU MOM ALWAYS SUPPORTS HIM...
      ~ a lonely

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re having a hard time focusing on your studies with your parents yelling at you. It is great that your education is important to you and it must be hard to find time to study with so much chaos in your home. It could be a good idea to try and do your studying outside of the home. If possible get together with school organized study groups or tutoring.
        Additionally, if you ever felt the need to talk to someone about what you are experiencing at home you are more than welcome to contact us. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe and stay strong,
        NRS

I'm 16 and i'm fed up with my parents, they are always in y business, they are always taking my phone, like who still takes kids phones and goes through them at my age...Sometimes i get really depressed and don't wanna live anymore, i made a mistake one time and i get bashed for it all the time and i'm sick of it.

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,

Thanks so much for reaching out. It sounds like you’re going through a really tough time with your parents. We’re sorry to hear that they’re mistreating you and making you feel depressed. No one deserves to go through that. It’s great that you’re asking for help, though—that’s the first step toward things getting better.

Right now, the most important thing is your safety. You mentioned that, sometimes, you don’t want to live anymore. If you ever feel like you might want to hurt yourself, you can call the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Someone is always there to listen and help you through anything you might be feeling. You can also call our crisis center at 1-800-786-2929 or use our chat service at 1800runaway.org if calling isn’t your thing. It’s crucial to remember that any difficult feelings you may have are both valid and temporary. You have every right to be upset with your parents. At the same time, the frustration and depression will pass.

If you ever feel like talking about these issues or anything else at all, don’t hesitate to reach out to our hotline. We are always here to listen and to help. Thanks again for reaching out and we hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

NRS

I feel like I wanna get out too, I hate being at my house for many reasons, mostly because I can't be honest with my parents. I don't like to tell them things cause they use it against me later. For example, I try to tell them about my friends and how I had fun spending the day with my friends while also thanking them for taking the time out of their day to take me. Later when I get into arguments with my mom she starts saying "oh but you have time to be with ur friends" etc. I literally have no friends maybe like 2. They don't even invite me out sometimes because they know I can't go because of my mom. I have to constantly lie about what I'm doing, I'm 17 and my mom still comes into my room to see if I'm asleep at 8, I get good grades, I have a bit of money saved and I use that to buy myself a couple things because my mom won't, and I have to lie that I dont leave the house. I am honestly just so tired of it and it almost makes me seem like I'm the bad guy, it makes me hate myself and I can't do anything anymore, I can't relax or be calm without having to lie to them all the time

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Sounds like rules at home and arguments at home are understandably taking a toll on you. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

If you haven't already, you might try to let your mom or your dad know how you are feeling. It sounds like there have been a lot of arguments with your mom lately so you might be strategic in how you approach them, such as talking to your dad first or writing them a letter so you cannot be interrupted. Here at NRS, we have a conference call service if you would like to have a mediated phone call with your parents. It can be a safe space for each party to talk about how they have been feeling and what their needs are. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY for that service.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

i’m mentally and emotionally exhausted. i hate my house. i hate being here everyday. i feel trapped and i am depressed. they ask me why i’m so depressed all the time but they really don’t realize they’re the reason why i am. i can barley hangout with my friends, i can barley see my boyfriend. i can’t do anything. and when i wanna leave my mom makes me feel like crap and i always have to lie just to be able to see my friends, i’m so tired of lying, and when i do get to leave sometimes, my mom always says “you need to put your family first” or “you care about them more than us” or blah blah. my friends don’t even bother to invite me to stuff anymore because they know my parents will say no. my mom told me my boyfriend could come over and he came over at 7 and i thought my dad was gonna just drop my mom off at work and come back but he didn’t and of course i don’t wanna get in trouble so i tell him “my boyfriend is here” and he thought i was being sneaky and trying to have him over at the house while they’re all gone but i truly wasn’t. so he’s screaming at me and tells me i’m grounded for the rest of the summer and that i can’t see anybody and nobody can come here. they’re always yelling at me no matter what. i’m never good enough. i feel like i want to die honestly sometimes and i hate that i feel this way. i’ve tried plenty of times to talk it out with them,but nothing works ever. i’m so tired and i just don’t wanna be here anymore. i’m only 16 which means i have two years left but two years sounds like a really long time. i feel like i can’t breathe. i want to run away.

Comment

• ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

We are glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. It sounds overwhelming at your house and dealing with your family. We understand how difficult it can be to find options when you are feeling so trapped. It must be very frustrating to now be getting in trouble even when you are trying to be open and above board with your parents. There are a couple of options we can discuss with you that might help you feel like you have help and a plan to deal with everything you have going on.

We know you have talked with your parents already but sometimes it helps to have a mediator as part of the conversation to keep everyone listening and the conversation productive. We offer a service where one of our staff will be on a call with you and one of your parents to talk about the issues.
        We also can look for resources in your area and try to find free or low cost counselling services. There is so much going on and it is understandable you are feeling overwhelmed and that you sometimes want to die. We would like to get you support you can count on dealing with that and some one who can help you deal with those feelings and strategies to handle those situations.

There also might be options for other living arrangements for you from another family member to a transitional living program. These are more complicated processes and ideally would involve permission from one of your parents.

The best way for us to discuss this further with you would be for you to chat with us on our website at www.1800RUNAWAY.org or to call us directly on our 24/7 hotline at (800) 786 2929. We are a non-directive agency which means we want to work out a plan for you that works best for you and not tell you what to do. Thank you for reaching out to us for help, we hope to hear from you soon.

I’m sick of living with my parents I’m only 14 turning 15 in a month and it’s like my parents do to much for instance I still get Spankings and stuff and I still get my phone checked every single day literally, and sometimes my mom even responds back to my friends. I get good grades and stuff and I admit I got caught talking to a boy and they freaked like they were so angry, I even gave a boy a handshake and still got in trouble, I have this friend who’s a boy and I consider him a brother and as usual my parents have a problem saying I’m not allowed to talk to him and stuff. It is 2019 there doing way to much. I have nothing of my own my parents are so nosy and they go through all my things there is nothing that they don’t know about, and I feel that if they keep this up I’m going to start doing way more than what they already think

Comment

• ccsmod6
        ccsmod6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your parents are treating you in an overbearing and unfair manner. It makes sense that you are frustrated and want a little more independence. If you feel like the way your parents have been treating you is inappropriate, we could talk about abuse reporting. Another thing we can do is have a conference call between you and your parents. We could talk about negotiating you a little more freedom from your parents in an effective way. Or you could call us and we could talk about other options and strategies for you to get what you need. Either way, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
        NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod6; 07-20-2019, 01:44 AM.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X