I'm 17 and I want to leave home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and I want to leave home

I will be 18 in five months. I live in Michigan and I want to move in with my boyfriend and his mom because I constantly argue with my own mom. Two years ago I got in trouble and My mom choked me and my dad wanted to hit me but hit a desk instead and broke his hand. My sister hit me multiple times. This physical violence hasn’t happened since then, but my mom and I always verbally fight. I am currently in a position where I feel unwelcome in my own home and my parents, specifically my mom, make me feel like a huge disappointment. I want to make sure I am legally able to move out of my current home and that my boyfriend and his mom won't get in trouble for taking me in. Please help me in any way possible.

re: I'm 17 and I want to leave home

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing what is going what has been going on with you. Sounds like you’re in a tough situation right now but it's good to hear that you have been making plans to get yourself out of an uncomfortable situation. It also sounds very frustrating that you are getting into physical and verbal fights with your family members. No one deserves to be hit and it is great that you are thinking about your well-being.

It sounds like you want to know if it is legal for you to move in with your boyfriend and his mom without anyone getting into any legal trouble. We are not legal experts but we mostly hear that the age of majority is 18. If you want, you can verify this with your local police to make sure. However, if you move in with your boyfriend and his mom without consent from your legal guardians, your boyfriend and his mom can get into legal trouble. It is possible that they can get in trouble for what police call “harboring a youth” which means that a person is trying to hide a youth from their parents without their knowledge of it happening. Have you talked with your parents about your plan to move in with your boyfriend and his mom? Is your boyfriend and his mother aware of what can happen if they let you move in with them?

We hope that this answers your question. If you feel like you need more assistance in establishing a plan you can give us a call at our 24/7 hotline for immediate services at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us during our chat hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We wish you the best of luck.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X