Wanting to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to move out

Hey, I'm 15 and I want to move with my mom. I'm turning 16 in August and I want to know If I can move out without my dads consent at 16. I can't take living here with him anymore. He's emotionally abusive and I just want out. I just want to know If he can stop me or what can I do? Thanks!

RE: Wanting to move out

Thank you for writing. We are sorry to hear about things at home with your dad. You ask a good question about what your options are in terms of moving with your mom. Do your mom and dad might have joint custody? If that is the case, there shouldn’t be a problem with you moving in with your mom. Different states sometimes have different “age of majorities.” Age of majority is a term meaning when a youth is considered an adult. If you were to leave your dad’s without his consent, he might be able to file a runaway report, depending on your age and what the age of majority is in your state. If your state’s age of majority is 16, then the police wouldn’t accept a runaway report. Sometimes, 17 can be a grey area, where 18 might be the age of majority, but because a youth is 17 and close enough to 18, the police won’t take the report. Then, there is the possibility your dad might not even file a runaway report if you left and went to live with your mom. Also, even if a runaway report is filed, it is considered a status offense, so not a felony or misdemeanor or anything that would go on your record.

There are a lot of “ifs” in this situation. We would definitely be more than happy to talk through it all if you want. You are always welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. One thing that isn’t iffy is whether it is okay to be emotionally abused. That is not okay. No one deserves to be harmed emotionally, verbally, physically, or in any other way. We are sorry to hear about your situation. Thank you for reaching out.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Moving out

I've brung this up with him numerous times. Yes, They have joint custody. Ever sense I was little when they divorced it was required I see her every weekend and part of the summer and certain holidays. But he won't bring me that much anymore. He has the physical custody though. When I tell him I want to move with her he screams and yells at me saying I can't threatening me that my law guardian won't let me. He hates my moms guts. I've thought about contacting my law guardian myself but I don't know if that would help. In Massachusetts the consent age is 16 and here I think it's 17. I just don't know what to there's so much more to it then this.

Comment

re: Moving out

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we are glad that you were able to reach out to us.

From what you shared, it seems like you and your parents are dealing with some tough issues at this point, we are sorry to hear that. Unfortunately we are not legal experts here which means that we would not be able to accurately say what would happen with your case but we can definitely provide you with some legal resources who would be able to help you answer these questions. You mentioned that you were in Massachusetts and here are the resources we found:

LEGAL ASSISTANCE OF CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS

Phone number: 1-800-649-3718

If there are any other resources that we can potentially provide you with, please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we would be more than happy to assist you with what we can. We are here 24/7 and are always here to listen and to help. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is that you decide to do.

Stay strong,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X