No announcement yet.

17 and needs out of the house ASAP.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 and needs out of the house ASAP.

    Hi im 17 and iv had it with being home. my mom and step dad got devorced wen i was seven and it was a "hey by the way im not your dad" type of situation whitch is when all the bad stuff started happining. i wane to sevaral mental hospitals for deppresson and anxiety i was diegnosed with bipolar when i was 8 and thats not ok. I ended up doing this form 7 to 16 i was on 18 diffrent meds and 23 pills a day. they almost killed me i got off all the meds and turns out im perfectly healthy. iv ran away a few times but each time im able to get a roof over my head, food and clothing by myself. i do just fne on my own. but in my house its a constent struggle. my mom wont help me with any nessesities as a minor. iv tried for emansipation but can not get through the first step because she will not sign the papers. i dont know what to do any more not even the local law inforcement will help iv gone through socal serveces as well but my mom puts on a mask for every one to see and gets away with more then she needs to there for no one helps.

    my question is how can i move out or "runaway" at 17?
    is it true law inforcement can not take me back home at 17? my 17th birthday is in june. and i live in colorado.

  • #2
    re: 17 and needs out of the house ASAP


    We’re sorry to hear you’re having a tough time with your mom! It sounds like you’d like to move out at 17 without permission. Technically, you are a minor until you are 18 and your mom can file a runaway report on you if you leave before that time. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense, which means you could be detained by police until they release you to your mom and anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway. However, many local police departments will not take runaway reports for 17 year-olds. Generally speaking, the closer you are to 18, the less police response there will be. The best way to find out how your local police would handle the situation is to call their non-emergency number and ask them if they accept runaway reports for 17 year-olds.

    Whatever you decide it sounds like you could use some support. We are here 24/7 and can help out in whatever way possible. We have a database of resources that you may find helpful: things like shelters, counseling services, transitional living programs, legal aid, etc. If you give us a call we can work with you to help you figure out what your next best step is. We hope to hear from you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove