Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do?

I am 16, 17 in June and I have a 6 month old baby. We live with my mom, my cousin, my sister and my sisters baby that my mom is adopting, that I'm raising. Still with me? Good. Our house is two bedroom, one bath, small living room and kitchen, turned the old living room into a space for the two children and my sister, who is 23 by the way. She was released from prison in oct, and is on drugs. She smokes in our smoke free house, in my babys room! She does nothing but go out and sleep all day, I cook and clean and take care of the two kids. Yesterday she came in to where Iwas having a party to celebrate my baby turning 6 months and she announced her pregnancy. There is no room for all of us and my mom wont mke her leave. Oh, she was also horribly abusinve growing up, sexually physically and mentally. I don't know what to do. I have virtually no friends to stay with and my mom wouldn't let me leace anyway, she would call dhs and I cant lose my baby but im scared im going to lose him staying here anyway. She leaves her open needles and razors and pills where babygirl can reach. What do I do?

Re: What do I do?

Hey,

Thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you have been going through a lot at home. You have taken a great step in trying to get some help during this difficult time. We’re here to support you the best that we can.

You shared a lot with us here about your situation. It sounds like you have experienced abuse in the past and we are sorry to hear about this. No one deserves to be abused in any way by anyone. Is this happening at home anymore? It sounds like you have been put in a really difficult position with your sister being active in her addiction and not taking care of her kids, and having very little space to yourself in your home. You shared with us that your mom is adopting your sister’s baby, and you have been taking care of him. It is really good to hear that this child has the support from you and your mom that your sister seems unable to provide currently.

So it sounds like you have been thinking about leaving home, but you do not have any friends that you could stay with and you feel like your mom would not let you leave anyway. Is there any other extended family that you might be able to stay for the time being? It sounds like you do not want Child Protective Services to be called, but you are concerned about the well-being of the baby at home. This is completely understandable and clearly a really tough decision to try to make on your own. Calling Child Protective Services is definitely an option. If you want to talk more about possibilities with calling, you can call our anonymous, confidential and 24/7 hotline at 1800runaway to talk more about what that would look like.

It sounds like your mom is allowing your sister to stay at home even while she is using in front of the kids and putting them in danger. Do you feel like your sister would take better care of her kids if she was in recovery? One organization that might be helpful to both you and your mom is Al Anon. This is a program that is strictly for family and loved ones of addicts, whereas Alcoholics Anonymous is for addicts themselves. These meetings would be a place that you could go to receive support and advice from others that have gone through similar situations to your own, having lived with and cared about someone in active addiction.

We are here to support you in any way that we can. If you would like to call us at 1800runaway, or chat us at 1800runaway.org from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST to talk more about your situation and possible options, please do not hesitate.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X