Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family issues

Hi I have a question so me and my dad have never gotten along he's really never been there for me or my brothers but now that I have started to go out more with my mother permission he's threatened me in calling the police and accusing me of running away which is ridiculous because I have my mothers permission. I'm 6months from being 18 but from what I understand if you are under age and either one of your parents calls the cops one you the police can go looking for you if they are given a idea of where you are at. See the thing I don't want is that if he can call the cops and they show up at the place my dad suggested they get me and go home I know it might sound like a dumb question but my dad has always been telling me that.

Re: family issues

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a tough spot and we are here to help you out the best we can.

So it sounds like your dad has never been there for you or your brother. This has got to be a hard thing to be going through. You shared with us that your mom has been giving you permission to leave, but your dad threatens you that he is going to call the police when you leave. Do your parents live together? We are not legal experts here, but generally speaking if you leave home without permission your guardian has the right to make a runaway report. If your parents are living together and you dad decides to make a report and your mom does not agree, it might be a dispute that’s outcome is determined by the police. If your parents are not living together, and they share custody it might depend on who you are staying with at the time, who would be able to make the runaway report.

We cannot say what would happen for sure because we are not legal experts, but one option you have is to call your local non-emergency police line and ask hypothetical questions. Another option is to call us at 1800runaway, and we can make that call out on your behalf or with you. We understand the police can be intimidating and we’re here to advocate for you. If you would like an alternative to talking to the police all together, we can try to locate other legal aid resources close to you instead.

We’re here to support you and help keep you safe. If you would like to discuss your situation further, please do not hesitate to call us at 1800runaway or chat us at 1800runaway.org from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X