i need out of my house!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need out of my house!

I am about to be 17 in 3 months. The past two years between me and my parents have been terrible. Here recently I met my real father and my mother didn't like it. We got into a big screaming match and she hit me for the first time. Ever since when we fight she says she is going to knock my teeth down my throat. I've tried to sit her down and tell her I need to move out but she refuses to listen. I can go live with my boyfriend and his family or my real father has offered me a place to stay. What can I do?

Re: i need out of my house!

Hi there,

We are really sorry to hear you are having a tough time with your parents! You certainly do not deserve to be hit or threatened like that. That’s just not acceptable and you always have the right to file a report on what’s happened with your state’s Child Protective Services. If you want, we can file a report on your behalf if you give us a call. But, that’s totally up to you. You are the best judge of your situation and we never tell anyone what to do.

It sounds like you are about to turn 17 and would like to live with either your biological father or your boyfriend and his family. At 17 you are still considered a minor and would need your legal guardian’s permission to live elsewhere. Maybe you can continue to try to talk your mom into letting you live where you’d like. One option is to have us mediate a conversation between you both. We’re more than happy to do that if you give us a call. Additionally, if you do decide to file an abuse report that could start a paper-trail that could lead you to being placed in a different home by a court order, perhaps living with your biological father. That’s not a guarantee, but it is a possibility.

If you decide to leave without permission your mom could file a runaway report on you. Running away is not a crime, but it is a status offense. This means you could be detained by police until they release you to your guardian. More serious is the possibility that anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a crime. We aren’t legal experts and we can’t know for sure what will happen, but these are possibilities. Now, 17 is sometimes considered by some police departments to be a “grey area” and some police will not take runaway reports for 17 year-olds. You may want to contact your local police non-emergency number and ask them if they take runaway reports for 17 year-olds.

You may have other options as well but we’d like to discuss these over the phone, if possible. We’d just ask some more questions from you to see how we can better help. We are totally confidential and anonymous and are a safe place to talk about these sorts of things. We have a large database of resources that might be able to help you: shelter options, counseling services, legal aid, and the like. Give us a call any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We hope to hear from you. Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I need out of my house

I don't like living in my house with my siblings because they are always teaming up on me and I feel neglected from my older siblings and some of my younger ones I only get not neglected when they or when I be
      nice with them ugh please help me my parents don't neglect me very much but I love them and and they love me back and
      that's one thing that is stopping me and I don't want to hurt them

Comment

RE: I need out of my house

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If you have contacted NRS today through another means via email or bulletin for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. We wish you the best of luck.

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X