Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with abuse

My parents are divorced, which doesn't really bother me because my father, is such an awful person. I've been putting up with his physical, mental and emotional abuse for years. I've tried to not let it get to me and put on a brave face, but I'm so done. Earlier this year I tried to stand up for myself after attending a court hearing for my civics class. I tried and it didn't work and I actually had to leave the state with my mother, it was so bad. He's so awful and abusive and I just don't know how to deal with it anymore. I have to visit him once a month for 4 days and it may not seem like much but I dread it. My stomach churns and I feel like throwing up when I have to go. He shows no remorse for his actions and he often denies doing anything. But I have bruises to prove it and probably 20 witnesses. How can someone mistreat a child so much and then deny it? I don't understand. It's so hard because people just expect me to forgive him. How am I supposed to forgive someone like this? I feel like I'm traumatized but my mom just wants me to forgive him. She doesn't know how to help me because she's scared of him. It also makes me so angry. I'm just so sick of pretending it's okay when it really isn't. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Hi there,

It sounds like you are going through a lot right now, and we are here to support you. It is reasonable you would dread seeing your dad, and it must be stressful because your mom wants you to forgive him. You didn’t deserve to be abused by him in any way, and we can understand how those four days can be extremely difficult for you in having to go to. You mention your mom doesn’t know how to help you because of her fear of him, is there anyone that you can talk to about what is going on and that can help you? Sometimes it can be helpful to reach out to someone at school, like the school social worker or a counselor. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help, and we are glad you did. We are available 24/7 to talk and provide you with support at 1-800-RUNAWAY, and if you were interested in any resources such as counseling or other hotlines we have a national database where we can find what’s available in your area. We also have online chat available from 4:30PM to 11:30PM central standard time if you’d like to talk more in depth about your situation and options.

Best,
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X