Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom telling me to move out

Hi. Im 15 and my mom told me to move out this morning. If i go stay with my grandmother can my mom stop me from leaving even though she told me to leave in the first place?

Hi there,

We are glad you reached out, and it looks like you are in a difficult situation with your mom right now. It can’t be easy hearing your mom tell you to move out, and it sounds like you are wondering if you do leave and she changes her mind if you could still leave the house. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on your situation. If your mom does kick you out of your house, you do have a right to file a child abuse report for neglect. One resource that can answer any questions you may have about neglect and how reporting works is Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453. It sounds like you aren’t sure if your mom will give you permission to leave, and if you do leave without her permission she can file a runaway report with the local police department. Because you are not 18 years old, local police would likely return you home to your mom. Running away is a status offence meaning it is illegal to do because or your age but you cannot be arrested or charged. One thing to keep in mind is whoever you are staying with could be arrested and charged with what is called “harboring a runaway” if your mom does choose to file a report. It can be stressful not knowing if you should stay or if you should go, sometimes it is helpful to reach out for additional support from an adult you trust like the school social worker, guidance counselor, or a family member. We are also here to support you, and we are available to talk more in depth about your situation 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Best,
    ~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X