No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod13
    RE: help


    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what is going on with your friend. It sounds like he is not in a good situation and we think that it is really great that he has someone like you to help him through this difficult time. No one deserves to be mistreated in any way.

    We are not legal expert, but we can speak in general terms. Generally, at the age of 18 you do not need the parents’ consent for anything. Until that age, by law the parent must give consent. If your friend were to leave, then the parents would have the option to file a runway report. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. Similar if you were to skip school, and officer would find you, bring you back home. If your friend was found at someone’s house, then the parents may have the option of charging that person with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor offense.

    You mentioned that Child Protective Services are of not help. It must be hard for your friend not to have someone to turn to, such as CPS. This unfortunately may rule out some of the options for your friend. Because you do not want CPS involved, which is completely understandable, a shelter may not be an option for your friend. Generally speaking, the shelter must at least contact your friend’s parents to inform and/or give consent for the minor to stay at the shelter.

    If your friend decides to change his mind, is a place he can go to for support. This is where you find a Safe Place location closest to you, by visiting the website or texting 69866 with the city/state/zip. They will send a text with the closest location. Your friend will then have the option to text with a mental health professional for more help. Your friend would then go to the Safe Place location and declare a safe place to the employee. They will then call someone to come out and help with services. This may require for the parents to be contacted. Your friend may be able to text the number for more help and support without involving the parents. We are not 100% sure if they will contact parents or CPS during the texting session.

    Some things to think about for when you friend decides to leave are
    Does your friend have a safe place to go?
    How is your friend planning on surviving? How will money be earned?
    Does he have anyone that is willing to take the risk of allowing him to stay with them?
    Who can your friend count on to help?
    If your friend ends up in trouble, who can be called?
    Wen/if your friend returns home, what will happen?

    We hoped this helped and we encourage you or your friend to reach out to use via chat every day from 4:30pm-11:30pm or on our 24/7 hotline at 1800.786.2929. We look forward to hearing from either one of you. We wish your friend the best of luck.


    Leave a comment:

  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest started a topic help


    A friend of mine is going to run aeay from an abusive home soon. This friend doesnt live near me or i would take them in. Can you please give me tips for them? Im so worried about their safety and theyve put up with so much i cant ask them to stay in such a bad place anymore. Please dont suggest child protective services to help them either, i know from personal experience that that system is corrupt and will do the bare minimum to help you.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove