No announcement yet.

I Don't Feel Safe or Loved at Home Anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi I’m 11 years old and I feel so scared, worried, and not safe in my own home. My mom fights a lot with my dad, yet I feel my mom is the issue as she always starts the fights. It is usually linked to my middle sibling, as he is a hassle. And any anger or aggression my mom has is usually taken out on me. Not physically, yet mentally and emotionally, and it really crippled my mentality. And when I do something wrong or make a mistake like spilling water I get screamed at. And my dad doesn’t really do anything around the house so I get why my mom is mad a lot but it is out of hand at this point and has been since 2018. I need some help here before I get out of hand and do something really stupid. Please respond as I’m writing this as a huge fight just ended.

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you decided to reach out. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

It is understandable to feel afraid and not safe in your home while these fights are going on, it sounds pretty scary. One option to consider would be to talk with both your parents about how this is affecting your mental health and how this is making you afraid. Another option could be to talk with your school counselor about what is going on at home, they may be able to provide you with resources and support.

We would like to help you explore this situation further and talk about more options. We may need more information to best help you, you can contact us by phone or by chat 24/7. We hope this information was helpful to you! Best of luck!
        NRS

• Hi um idk what im supposed to write but i just came here because i dont feel safe here at all my parents dont like make me feel loved im transgender and they dont support me at all my dad has made me suicidal before i want to find a way out of here but my dad said he'll just call the cops and i just want to be happy and feel loved and supported im always getting yelled at and getting my things taken now im just more emotional and i cry more

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like there is a lot going on right now, and we're sorry to hear that your parents don't make you feel loved or support. That must be really difficult, and it makes sense that you want those things.

As you continue to think things through, it might be helpful for you to consider looking into therapy. Having a support system in place to help when things are feeling really heavy and overwhelming can really be beneficial in repairing relationships, but also in working on and healing ourselves individually. A therapist can also help you develop some of the tools needed to address some of the issues you're having with your parents, or even help facilitate those conversations so that you feel comfortable and supported throughout. If this is something you're open to, a good starting point in finding a therapist is to reach out to your school counselor or social worker. Sometimes you can see them for a few sessions before looping your parents in, and they can also help advocate for you to maintain ongoing services if your parents are hesitant about letting you see a mental health professional. Since school is starting to let out for the summer, if connecting with your school counselor isn't an option, we might be able to help find local therapists in our database as well.

The Trevor Project is another good resource that you can utilize if you need some additional support while you work through things, or if you are having any suicidal thoughts. They have trained counselors available 24/7 and offer a safe and judgement free-zone for LGBTQ+ youth. You can connect with them by calling 866-488-7386, or through their live chat: https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-help-now/.

If you'd like to discuss your situation in more detail with us, please feel free to reach out directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY, or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

• Hi so this is hard to say. Over the last couple of years I have struggled with eating. There would be times were I didn’t eat a breakfast but then I would eat a buck of snacks in my room secretly. And I live in a foster home we’re the people are rude and judgemental. I tried explaining my eating problems to the fat foster parents but they didn’t listen. They think every time I eat in my room I want to but they don’t understand that’s it’s the fear of being judged for eating, my worker has even said that the foster parent has said some nasty stuff about my eating that is offensive. One time I ate a salad and she got all mad and sensitive another time they said if I lose weight I would be grounded and so when I lost weight about a year ago, they got mad and were rude without knowing the whole story. I hate living here they are racist they call me the n word. Please report my parents.

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out, it takes a lot of courage to seek help and to talk about what you've been going through. It sounds like you're in a stressful situation and that your foster parents are judgmental of your eating habits. It's important that you know that you are so much more than your weight and, no matter your size, what matters most is to be healthy. It also sounds like your foster parents are calling you racial slurs and are not accepting of who you are. You deserve to be treated with respect and them calling you that is absolutely not okay. You also deserve to live somewhere where people support you, and you deserve the freedom to choose what foods to eat without facing criticism or backlash.

If you would like help filing a report, we would need some more information about what's been going on and more details about your specific situation. If you decide against filing a report, but would like more help with what you've been dealing with at home, we can also provide resources specific to you and what you're going through. The best way to either file a report or seek out additional resources is to talk with us in real-time through our online chat service at 1800runaway.org or by calling in to our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. That way, we can learn more about your situation in order to best help you.

• hi i’m 14 i live at home with my mom and younger sister my dad just passed away a couple months ago and i’ve suffered from deep depression for a while now i was raped in 6th grade and my parents got divorced when i was 4 then my dad had kids with another woman and left but we kept in touch and my mom would always blame me and my dad for making her life miserable my mom hits me yells at me and doesn’t let me out of the house. she ONLY comes at me and gives my sister a luxury life. i’m a all A student i am on a high level soccer team and volleyball team and i find myself crying every night wanting to escape my house i use to be able to have a little time alone when my dad was alive and go to his house but he’s dead now so i have no where to go. my mom constantly yells and makes fun of me for no apparent reason and never my sister.i miss my dad and i don’t want to be around my mom anymore i want to run away but i don’t know where to. please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

It is understandable to have suffered from deep depression, given the circumstances you have had to face. We are sorry to hear about the passing of your father, that is a tough situation to have to deal with. A resource that you may find helpful is called NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). They can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.

We know you mentioned your mom yelling at you and hitting you, you do not deserve to be treated that way. If you feel like this could be abusive you do have the right to file an abuse report. You can do that by calling Child Help at 1800-422-4453. You can also call us or chat with us and we can help you file an abuse report.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you would like to explore more options or just need someone to talk to you can always call or chat with us. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
        NRS

• Hi, I’m a fourteen year old girl and I live with my mom and brother. I was adopted into this family but she makes sure to remind me everything I make a mistake that “I brought you into this family and I can send you right back.” She makes me feel like I’m worthless. Shea gaslighter, she does something wrong and she flips everything on me to make me feel like I did something wrong. She always thinks she’s right and when I try to correct her she yells and screams at me. She makes me feel like I’m a servant that was only made to take care of her every need. She always nit picks at me about my weight, saying things like, “do you rally need that bread” even when it’s the first thing I’ve eaten all day. She also says things like, “maybe if you lose a little weight, boys will like you more”, even though she knows I like girls. And that’s another thing. She talks about me to the family saying things like, “she’s a disgrace to the family” and “I won’t ever accept her”. She makes me feel like I’m doing something wrong for liking women, and every time I correct her about sexual preference, she tells me, “you’re just confused” and “this is just a phase” and “you have no idea who you really like”. One time I asked her, “are you going to want to meet my gf one day when I get one?” And she says, “ I don’t condone that s***, and I don’t accept you either.” It broke my heart to hear her say that. But back to the subject, I do not feel loved here and I don’t feel safe either. It feels like any moment she’s just going to snap and start beating on me. I can not live here anymore. I’ve tried so hard to tough it out but I’m losing my mind here.

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/

Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

Stay Strong,
        NRS

• I don’t feel safe and loved by my family at home. They don’t want to keep me and they hit me

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. Their number is 800-422-4453. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone (800)- RUNAWAY or chat (www.1800RUNAWAY.org) so that we may help.
        Take care,
        NRS

• Hi my names robo and my boyfriend recently contacted me saying how he’s parents have threatened to beat him if the catch him with me they have also told him that he does not have anxiety and depression he diagnosed by a doctor and a therapist he also never feels loved in he’s house hold and get emotionaly abused by his parents so he asked me if he could run away and come to my house since I have an extra bed in my house so we where talking about me and my mom picking him up in the middle of the night have him run out get into our car and take him home so he will have a family that loves and cares for him better than his parents should we do it?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now with your boyfriend and you’re feeling like leaving is one of his only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,
        NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X