No announcement yet.

I Don't Feel Safe or Loved at Home Anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m 13 and I don’t feel comfortable at home , I have 2 sisters but one of them moved away leaving my and my youngest sister . My parents treat her way different then me and no I’m not jealous ... no they don’t spoil her way more ... they just love her more . I’ve been abused by both of my parents and ever since then I haven’t talked to either one about my problems ... I haven’t told anyone . I just walk around with a fake smile on my face because when ever I seem sad or have a “attitude” they threaten to hit me .. no I’m not doing this to get attention .. I really wanna go somewhere I feel safer at ... today my teacher told me I “skipped” yesterday class but I really didn’t I was really late I didn’t keep track of time and we have a policy if your more then 5-10 mins late they have to mark you absent . I can’t just look at my parents and tell them why I wanna die or why I don’t feel safe or why I’m cutting myself or why I’m struggling with school ... whenever I look at them I seee that look ... the look that reminds me I’m a disappointment to them ... I’m scared to call cps or 911 . I need help ... she abuses me and nobody cares ...

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi There!

First of all, thank you so much for reaching out to NRS today. We know it can take a lot of courage to do so, especially in such a difficult and scary situation. We are so sorry to hear that you don’t feel comfortable or loved at home. You do not deserve to live in a household where you are abused and feel unsafe.

You mention that you are cutting yourself. We want you to know that our first priority here at NRS is that you are safe. If you are ever feeling like a danger to yourself, a good resource to reach out to is the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. They are available to talk and support you 24/7 at 800-273-8255.

We understand it can be scary to reach out to CPS or call 911. If you do feel unsafe at home, however, making a report to Child Protective Services is definitely an option. Going to childhelp.org will help you understand how to make a report in your state. We are here to support you in this process as well if you want. If you do want help making an abuse report, you can reach out to us through live chat at 1800runaway.org or by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929). If you want to reach out and just talk through the situation and hear about more resources even if you are not interested in making a report, we are happy to be here to support you through that as well.

You do not deserve to feel unloved and we are here to help you as best as we can.

Best of luck and stay strong,
      NRS

• Hi, I’m nine and I live with my grandma she yells, hits, and tells me that I’m stubid and useless I just want to go somewhere else anywhere else
    she even does that to my older siblings I don’t know why she does that. We just hate it here it happens almost everyday

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• i don’t feel safe at home. as I have gotten older the less safe I have felt. My mom is very bipolar and has extreme anger issues and takes them out on me constantly. She’s almost constantly screaming at me for things I’m not responsible for and forces me to do all of her bidding including her laundry, my brothers room, etc. she screams at me if I don’t talk to her and complains I don’t combine in her but I’m in constant fear she is going to hurt me. I fear she is losing it. She screams at me when she misplaces things and blames me for all of her problems. I am almost 16 years old and have the right to choose which parent I want to live with and I stayed with my dad for one night and she flipped. She called the cops and forced me to come home. I cannot stand the constant neglectment im receiving here and the constant yelling because I have many mental disorders from her past lovers abuse. Including my father but I felt safer with him that one night than I ever do here. I don’t want to live with either of them and I don’t know what to do because she relies on me to babysit all the time.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and posting to our forum. It sounds like you have been going through a lot at home and things have been getting overwhelming. No one deserves to have someone else's anger taken out on them. Thank you for sharing your story, it is very brave of you to reach out for help.

It sounds like you don’t want to live with either of your parents. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do leave without your mother’s permission, she can legally call the cops who are authorized to take you home as it sounds like they have done in the past. There are ways to leave home legally through emancipation or child protective services. We can’t be sure of the outcome, but if you are interested, we are here to help you through either process. If you would like more information about abuse reporting you may want to check out www.childhelp.org. We are here to support you in whatever decision you make. It sounds like things have been really difficult and we want to make sure home is a safe place for you. If you ever feel unsafe, you can call the police right away to get help.

You mentioned having some difficulty with mental health as well related to past abuse. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced abuse and have been struggling as a result. We would like to help. If you contact NRS by chat or by phone, we could connect you to resources in your area that may be helpful, such as counseling services, or if you ever just feel like you need someone to talk to. We are here for you 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Again, we want to thank you for posting to our forum and encourage you to reach out again if you would like to talk more.

We wish you all the best,

NRS

• Hi, I'm 17 and am getting verbally abused on a daily basis at home. My mother is the one who has done it the most. She will yell and scream at me for little to no reason. She used to hit me. The last few years I have been cutting myself to try to cope with the depression my home environment causes me. I've made attempts on my own life a few times. My sisters don't care that this is happening to me and whenever something bad happens the blame gets put on me. Which gives my mother even more reason to yell at me. My father yells at me a lot too. My younger sister has told me to kill myself before. My older sister hardly acknowledges my existence but whenever she does it's to make mean remarks about me. Would I legally be allowed to leave my current living situation and move in with my bestfriend or my boyfriend? They are the only 2 people I feel safe around. But I don't know if I can leave my parents house legally or if I have to wait until I'm 18 or 19. I'm afraid of what my parents will say or do if I bring this up to them so I came here hoping to find out what I can do

Hi, I'm 17 and live in B.C. I am being verbally abused on a daily basis and it is severely damaging my mental health. My whole family hates me. My mother used to hit me. She will yell and scream at me for little to no reason. My sisters always blame me for everything so my parents have even more reason to yell at me. The last couple years I have been harming myself as an attempt to cope with the depression caused by my family. I have made 2 attempts on my own life but failed both times. I have been cutting myself worse and worse lately. I dont know what to do anymore. I dont feel safe or happy at home anymore. My parents don't let me leave unless its for school or work. But if they do let me go out with a friend it's only for a few hours at the most. Can I leave my current living situation and move in with my bestfriend or my boyfriend? Or do I have to wait until I'm 18 or 19 to legally do so? They are the only two people I feel safe around. I'm afraid of what my parents will say or do if I bring any of this up to them so I'm seeking help on this forum to see what I can legally do
    Last edited by ccsmod3; 03-13-2021, 04:28 AM. Reason: Edited to add information from duplicate poster

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, and thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things at home have been pretty tough for you lately, and we're sorry to hear that. You don't deserve to be treated that way.

Unfortunately because NRS is a US based organization, we don't have the resources or knowledge base of the laws in place in your country to really be able to answer your questions at this time. You can visit Child Helpline International (www.childhelplineinternational.org) to try and locate a service similar to ours in your area. Just click on "Find a Child Helpline" at the top of the page and locate your country. From there, you should be connected to an organization that can help. I was also able to track down another local resource that might be helpful to you as well. The Crisis Centre offers support to individuals in crisis by phone and chat. You can visit their website at https://crisiscentre.bc.ca. You can learn more about their Distress Services by going directly here: https://crisiscentre.bc.ca/distress-services/, and they also have a bunch of different resources you can reach out to through that link as well.

We hope that you find the resources above helpful.

NRS

• Hey I'm fifteen and I live with my aunt ad uncle because of abuse and neglect by my mom and dad. My mom was unmedicated with ied and bipolar2. She is now medicated, but my aunt and uncle have cinderelled me since i started living with them. My uncle has threatened to hit me numours times and my nana has told me that I could live with her. She raised a another one of my cousins who said I could live with him. Although, I don't want to make it where my nana doesn't get to see my aunt and uncles kids.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like you've been through a lot and are incredibly resilient! Your uncle's threats are not OK and you should be treated with love and respect. It seems like you are very conscientious of how your actions reflect others, but your safety is our main priority here at NRS and we encourage you to do whatever will keep you safest.

It may be beneficial to speak with your nana directly about your desire to live with her. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• im only 11 years of age and am already having breakdowns everynight its as if the older i get the more presure is put on me by everyone including my parents my freinds and other family members im an only child witch makes it worse cause i get blamed for everything i have been diagnosed with depression but my mom and dad dont get it i have a strong urge to runaway tonight but im only 11 and i wouldnt be able to cope with the outside world for much more then a month, i fell down the stairs once started crying and my mom looked at me and walked away didnt fo anything. I feel like im being targeted my everyone i meet. School doesnt make it any better when i have people left right and center in my face shouting rude things and ecs. Any tips on how to runaway?? please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for reaching out to us. It can take a lot of courage to do that. It sounds like you go through so much tough stuff at home. NO one should have to endure so much pressure and not paying attention to how badly you feel. Depression is a serious thing and should be addressed, by either having a counselor to talk to or adults that can understand what you're going through and help you with listening, support and reassurance, confidentially of course.

Running away at 11 is really really hard. We always suggest that youth that want to runaway have a plan, where to go to - to be safe and cared for. However, you should know that if your parents call the police and find you, they will probably return you home. Also: anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a crime. So it's a bit tricky to run away, especially at your age.

It may be very helpful to try a few other avenues as well. Maybe reaching out to any adults you can talk to that would be able to support you, such as a family member or the school counselor. Often that's a good first step. And also, since you mentioned that you have been diagnosed with depression, seeing a counselor or therapist can be so truly helpful (someone that can be there for you and listen and understand and be constructive in dealing with your challenges). Finally, the National Runaway Safeline is here 24/7. You can call us anytime - the number is 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat with us via the chat feature at the top of our webpage: www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon!

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I'm a 16yo FTM person. Autistic with possible tourettes. My family refuses to be accommodating and only threaten me when I do something slightly wrong. They manipulate me into thinking that my thoughts and emotions come last to everything else and they tend to raise their voices at me.
    They don't make me feel wanted and mock me for my illnesses and disabilities. At this point I only want an escape. I know places to go and ways to get money but I'm afraid that they'll find me and keep me even further isolated from the world, moreso than they do now.

Please, if there's anything else that is NOT CPS, tell me.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. It sounds like things with your family have been pretty tough for you--no one should be made to feel any less than because of their illnesses or disabilities (or for any reason for that matter), and we're sorry that you're experiencing that from your family.

Running away is a pretty big decision, and it's generally a good idea to have a plan in place before committing to it, which it seems like you're trying to do now. Consider where you'll go, how you'll get there, and what you'll do to survive once you're there. It's also helpful to spend some time thinking about your safety and what steps you can take to try and safeguard that. It's important that you approach this time from a realistic standpoint and that you have some tough conversations with yourself about what you want, what makes the most sense to get you to that point, and if there are any other worthy options you might be able to consider along the way.

If you're hoping to find other options that don't involve the same risks associated with running away (like being found after you leave), unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of things to consider. Essentially you can leave home legally by having your parent's consent to stay elsewhere (like with a family member or a friend), or through emancipation, which is a legal process that typically begins at 16 and where you have to show that you are mature enough to live on your own and take care of yourself. This means having a job, having a plan, living on your own, and otherwise being able to prove that you're mature enough and capable enough to navigate through the world on your own BECAUSE living at home with your parents is unsafe or unhealthy for you. It can be a timely and expensive process, and it typically doesn't have the highest success rates.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about your situation and/or continue to explore some options, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

• hi im 14 i dont feel safe at home anymore. i always feel depressed and i feel like the person the supposed to have my back the most (my mom) is always against me. the first time i left my house my mom put out my bags then told me to leave, i left and she called the police on me and turned me in as a runaway. the second time i ran away was because i was being verbally abused almost every other day. the thord time i ran away was because i got physically abused wost then she ever has to me and i still had to come back home i dont know what to do anymore and i need help but i dont know where to start if u have any suggest plz call this number on how i can get help
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 03-22-2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

Be safe,

NRS

• hello i need help as soon as possible if i do something wrong i would get yelled at my my mom my dad does not live with us my mom is abusive if i did something slightly wrong she would hit me punch me and even use a belt and would hit me she punches me in the mouth. im in IL, someone please help me and put her in jail im 13
    Last edited by ccsmod8; 04-07-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a very tough situation, and it’s very brave of you to reach out for help. Hopefully we can help in any way that we can.

What you have described sounds like it can be abuse, and it's not okay that your mother treats you in that way. You don't deserve that at all. Just so you know that you always have the right to protect yourself that abuse by reaching out to your local child protective service agency or you can even reach out to us to talk about that being an option. If you feel comfortable, you can also reaching out to another trusted adult to let them know what is going on at home in order for them to try to help you. This could be a neighbor, friend, teacher, or school counselor

This all must be very frustrating for you and again, it's very brave to reach out for help and support. Just know that we are available 24/7 if you need more help or want to talk about more options. Please don't hesitate to reach out whenever you need help.

• I am a 12 year old girl and my mom takks bad about ny dad any chance she gets. Her parents too. I dont feel comfortable being at my grandmas house. I tried to stay with my mom but she wanted to bring me there and since i did not listen she tried to drag me and scream. She then grounded me but since my dad bought my phone he doesnt allow me to give it to anyone. So my mom grabbed it and scratched me. She has a friend who came to our house and there was this time where i crossed the driveway of mu grandmas house so that i could go to my dads car and my grandma and ger sister starting following us almost causing a car accident which scared me. After that they just said they were scared i got kidnapped?? They knew it was my dads day and were even taking videos of me in the car as they said i forgot something so that he would put the window down. Creepy... so because of that day, my mom was telling her friend about it and her friend started takking about how i couldve got kidnapped and raped. Keep in mind i was at the GUARD HOUSE. I know how to cross a driveway. And her friend was saying how my mom should take me to juvenile prison and that if i were her kid she would hit me so i would be scared of her. More happened that day... last year i was going to drink water at night in my grandmas house since my mom left me there and i saw my grandpa smoking weed.. i remember the smell because when my parents were together they would smoke it sometimes. Last week my mom left me there again but this time i smelt the weed, i didnt have to go out.. i heard its illegal possibly he has a doctor note for it but still im not sure if i should be there. 2 years ago my grandpa gave me a computer he had used and it was supposed to be mine. I brought it to my dads and he found transgender porn a lot if it, on my computer. Im not comfortable with them because of these things i have experienced, plus my mom and them verbally abuse me.. no one lustens to me and they say im a spy in their house because i tell my dad what they do when im scared.. my mom also says my dad is suicidal. I did a hunger strike to see if my mom would even think about giving me equal time with my dad. I only see him 6 days each month.. and she didnt care. I then stayed with my dad for 2 months because i didnt want to go back and be educated on how im ungreatful, my dad doesnt love me, i call him every minute of the day, he’s brainwashing me, etc. these arent true :/ i came back and all my mom changed was letting me see my dad LESS. Yesterday, i opened a letter.. and it said my mom signed a paper to put my dad in prison. I do not want to go back there ever again but at some point i will need to.. am i making the right decision to stay with my dad and nit come back again?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive and can only respond to the forum twice. You know your situation best.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hello, I am currently 13 years old and..well things haven't been very good at my house. 10 years ago my mom married my step-father, after getting over her lattest abusive relationship with my father. Thinking my step-father was a good and kind man who helped her and loved her, of course they got married. But once they got married he showed his true colors to her. 10 years later, my mom is still in this rough relationship, my step-father is an alcoholic. I feel very uncomfterable around him, and whenever the two of them get in arguments (Or me and him) he raises a fist but forces himself to put it down. It looks like he tries so hard not to actually hit her and/or me, you can see it in his face as he forces his fist down shaking. He gets really heated up whenever someone tells him he's wrong or shows him a better way to do something. I do not have a phone yet, nor can I get a hold of my mothers phone to call anyone. I just need some help in these hard times.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to be vulnerable, and we appreciate you opening up to us. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

It sounds like you’re in a stressful and potentially abusive situation, and we’re glad you’ve come to us. Everyone deserves to feel safe and respected in their home.. What you are describing sounds like it could lead to physical abuse.

If you ever feel unsafe at home, it’s always within your rights to report any abusive behavior. www.childhelp.org can be a great resource when looking to report abuse. Child protective services can also be a good resource as well. It may also be beneficial to share these thoughts with a trusted adult if one is available and you feel comfortable doing so.

If you would like to further discuss your options, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can search for resources in your area.

If calling is not feasible, you can also chat us at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope this helped and take care!

NRS

• im 13 and i have a guardian i was in foster care when i was 9 ish and i don't feel safe. my foster family is very toxic, what should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• im 12 years old almost 13 i dont feel safe at home. i want to kill myself all the time. my dad always threatens me and my stepmom, Lindsey, doesn't seam to care at all. my mom is an alcahalic and my dad has a bunch of anger ishuse and will tack out his rage on me earler tonight my dad forbid me from talking. i dont want to talk it all out on my dad only becouse he was abused as a chilled so he has no other way to parent but he did leave me and my mom all aloun when he found out my mom was pregnant with me. they is fiscally and verbily heart me is i dont have good graeds. i have ADHD. I heart-myself almost every night but if my perents figure that out thell gust hert me more. pleas help me i will do enny thing to get out of this place please help.
    Last edited by ccsmod0; 05-11-2021, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

Be safe,

NRS

• Hi I’m 16 and I don’t feel loved or welcomed in my own home, my mom and stepdad are always getting onto me for things I didn’t do and making up things about me to tell other parents to make them feel bad for them and not let me hang out with their kids. They are always showing favoritism towards my older brother and my little sister, I don’t know what to do. I am so close to just leaving, but I don’t know where to go. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X