Mom and sister making choices for me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom and sister making choices for me

I am of legal age, I just turned 20. I found great opportunities for myself in a different state, where my older brother is living, with my sister. I want to move SO bad but my mom and sister seem to keep holding me back. They want me to make a life in my hometown and that's not where my heart belongs. I bought my ticket without them knowing and when I came upfront about it mom just said...."you're not leaving". This is such an easy decision but yet so hard when your mother holds you back. Ive tried speaking to her and my sister but they won't listen. They want everything their way it isn't fair. And its hard because I've always been my sisters shadow but all of sudden when I'm ready to fly, it's like NO. I don't know how to do most things 20 year olds know how to do. I don't work, Idk how to drive, no license. I'm only doing school and back home. Advice?

RE: Mom and sister making choices for me

Hello,
    We are glad that you reached out to us. It seems like you are in a difficult position and don’t really feel at home where you are. We aren’t here to tell you what to do but we would like to help you come to that conclusion. It seems like you’re at conflict with whether or not to make your family happy or make yourself happy. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a right or wrong answer here. It seems like you have a plan for moving and are excited about it; that’s great! It is important to look out for what will keep yourself mentally healthy. It seems you are also feeling a little guilty about leaving your family behind. To what extent have you expressed your unhappiness to them? Have you expressed that this is what will make you happy and you are ready to walk in your own footsteps? We are sorry to hear about your situation. It is important to keep yourself mentally happy as well as keep your family happy. You can reach us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you’d like to talk more about what is going on. Good luck.
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X