X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension and you shouldn't have to bear so many responsibilities. From what you've said you've gone through a few rough experiences and it shows how strong and resilient you are. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned that you unfortunately have some issues with PTSD because of the past abuse and mistreatment. It can be really hard to live with mental health issues and we want you to know that you aren’t alone in addressing them. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-800-662-4357 or you can go to their site at samhsa.gov.

You said that you are weary to bring this to the attention of your case manager, but they may be able to intervene and place you elsewhere or work with your foster parents to make home a peaceful place. It could also be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your foster parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey! I need advice, I'm 17 years old and I wanna run away, I was abused my my mother verbally and mentally and when I got sent to Foster care they put me with my sister. The problem now is I have PTSD from yelling and then I'm constantly getting treated like a nobody, my opinion don't matter. I'm not allowed to do anything and they are always leaving me with their kids. I feel like their tool. We just moved into a big city and they expect me to do all the unpacking while they go out fishing and I have all four kids with me at those times. And when they get back they yell at me and make me cower while they say that I never do anything for them and that they feed me and put a roof over my head just for me to be lazy. I wanna run away but I have a fear of being alone and I don't feel like I could make it honestly but if I call the Case Workers I will be digging myself a deeper hole. I need advice please?
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi!

Thank you very much for writing us! We are here to listen, and here to help! Sorry to hear that you have been through such a difficult time. You did not deserve to get raped. Condolences for your loss of the baby as well.

It is understandable that you are having a difficult time. It is brave of you to reach out for help, instead of isolating yourself. We invite you to continue to reach out for help. You can call or chat with us, see our information in the email signature. Aside from our agency, see the resources below for more support that is a little more tailored to what you’ve experienced:

rainn.org (has live chat option) or 1-800-656-4673

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, if it feels so bad that you want to commit suicide or feel really depressed: 1-800-273-8255

We hope to hear from you soon!

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, my name is **** and I am 14 almost about to be 15. I have run into a ******** ton of drama lately and honestly, i have never felt so worthless in my entire life. My boyfriend has raped me, inpregnated me and then blamed me when the baby died. I feel so worthless.

I beg of you, anyone.... please help.
    Last edited by ccsmod9; 03-14-2020, 04:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and we hope we can help.
    Moving into a new home can be a huge life transition and it can be scary and frustrating and overwhelming at first. It seems like you may be going through depression, but only a mental health professional can diagnose that. One option to consider would be to speak with your school counselor or a therapist about how you are feeling. Sometimes speaking to a professional can help offer you support and resources to how you are feeling. Another option is you could contact NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses), they can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
    We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen if you were to run away. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to help and to provide support. Best of luck to you!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I want to run away but I just cant

I feel so worthless even though I have a family that loves me but I don’t feel like it. I can’t sleep every night and ever since I moved into my new house things have been going so bad at home. I always feel sad and school is the only place I’m happy. I really want to run away but I’m afraid for my future since I really want to become a successful woman I’m only in 6th grade too! I feel like I’d be happy running away but I always think of the cons and can’t bring myself to it. I’m afraid if I get found and my family leaves me. I always feel so left out at home ever since my nephew was born. My dad is mostly the whole reason I want to run away and I just can’t take it anymore. This all might feel like such a stupid reason to run away and that there are so many other people that go through way more then me but please tell me what to do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything. You do not deserve to be abused by your mother. It’s not your fault that she behaves this way towards you.
    We understand how difficult it must be to deal with this situation and cope with the feelings that come from it.
    You are very brave for doing so. Good for you.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.
    NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
    We are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied

Feelings I'm an eleven year old right now. Unlike the other stories of their experiences I have mostly been emotionally abused by my mother. My mom would yell at me for my tone in voice. For example one time I was having a rough day at school. When I came back home, my mom asked questions in which I answered. In her response she raised her voice saying I shouldn't have a bad tone. I tried explaining but she wouldn't listen and talk over me. This has occurred many times making me fragile in feelings. I have tried telling my experience but I let off. I didn't have the urge to. One of my friends has been physically abused by his dad in which I don't know. Just last week I have thought of my next occurrence. I have had many breakdowns either at school or in bed. I once had an urge to run away from home. I feel like I should stay until it's at my last string. I would like some information on helping my situation. Thanks to whoever is willing to.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-10-2020, 12:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hey there, thank you so much for reaching out to us here at NRS. We appreciate your openness with the situations in your life and how vulnerable you have been. Reaching out is a first good step as you have some questions about running away. We are going to talk about a few things here but don’t hesitate to reach back out to us here. Our phone lines at 1-800-RUNAWAY and our chat lines at 1800runaway.org are here 24/7 for you.

First we want to give our condolences for the losses of your best friend and your grandmother. We understand that must have been difficult to lose someone close to you as well as a support system. From what you shared it seems a lot of difficulties at home have been centered around your parents and how they treat you. Having grades shift throughout the school year can be frustrating and being yelled at for those changes doesn’t seem to be the most uplifting action from your parents. Have you thought about talking to someone within the school about your grades and how to involve your parents in a more positive discussion? That can be an option to think about bringing up with someone you trust like a teacher or school counselor. They may be able to talk with you and your parents in a collaboration about how to best address school grades and bring up how your parents have been yelling at you if you are comfortable. You can also think about this option with other people like a friend, family member, or trusted adult. This can help bring a mediator to the topic of grades, but also help bring in a different perspective about how they have been treating you and how that has been affecting you, not only about grades too.

We are also here as an option too. We do have a conference call service where if you feel comfortable and are able to call us, we can help facilitate a call between you, your parents, and ourselves to talk about what you want to help bring compromise and listening to all sides. We know this may be uncomfortable but we are always here to discuss the option if you want, even if you and your parents are in the same house this is always an option too.

If you are feeling your health is something that is declining, you can also think about reaching out to a health professional like a school nurse or your primary care doctor to talk. This could a step to talk about the concerns you have about your health and maybe a school nurse could connect you to other resources if you feel your primary care doctor isn’t an option. If you are feeling the stress and thoughts about overdosing are becoming overwhelming, you can speak with a trained crisis counselor through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or go to suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Additionally the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration can connect you with local resources as well, 1-800-662-4357; samhsa.gov.

We appreciate your honesty and bravery with reaching out to us today. We are always here for you to listen and brainstorm what you may think works best in your situation. Don’t hesitate to reach back out if you want to talk further. Best of luck and stay safe!

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 16 and I don't have a 100% idea of whether to run away or not. I've wanted to leave since I was 10, but I never found a solid reason as to why I want to leave. My mom and dad are always arguing with me, they favorite my brothers, they always find an excuse to yell at me, and they usually think that buying me things will make me happy, but instead it makes me feel angry. If my grades drop to a B, they yell at me and tell me to go study because "I'm a failure" and they always compare me to my cousins who always have straight As. A lot of people I've always reached out for help passed away, and I believe that is where my anger began. My best friend from all of elementary died of a stroke at 11 years old, and I could no longer depend on him. I went to my grandmother who soon passed away, and so did a lot of the following people I have depended on. My grades are slipping lower to Bs and Cs and it's because school is getting more frustrating, and I'm sure you can imagine how my parents reacted to that. I've had several overdose attempts in the past and the time gap in between each one is getting smaller and smaller. I have no valuable excuse as to why I want to run away since I'm not sure whether I'm happy where I am or not. My friends at school have even said that I look worse from how I was in the past. They said I look pale/yellowish, sleep-deprived, I'm always sleeping instead of hanging out with them during our breaks, and they asked why I lost so much weight (December 2019: 142 lbs; February 2020: 124 lbs). I honestly have no idea as to why this is occurring, and I wanted to ask for advice on this before I fully decide on what to di, whether it be to run away from home, or try better at school, to talk to someone, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now.
    You do not deserve to be abused by any one and we are sorry you are dealing with all of this right now. You have every right to make an abuse report and there are a few ways you can go about making an abuse report. One option to consider is calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453. Another option to consider is talking with your school counselor about what has been going on at home. They will be able to help make a report and also provide resources. Another option to consider is calling us and we can help you in making an abuse report.
    We know you mentioned running away, we are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to run away your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could see about staying with a friend or family member.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm George and I'm 12 years old. I don't know if my life is as hard as I say it to be but I think it is. Every day is a constant battle with my family. I have an annoying little brother that hits me constantly, and I'm not even joking when I say, he's bitten me so hard that I bleed out. Then there's my sister, she's the most two-faced ********** that I've ever seen. Like, she will be there for me and then she gets me to tell her all my ********, and then when shes mad at me, she uses it as blackmail. And the worst of all, my mom. She mentally abuses me like crazy, last night I was practicing for a performance for my choir and she said that I will never make it and I should just stop. and that's not even the worst, one time I was really upset because of my weight and instead of cheering me up like a good mom, she told me that I'm fat and should just deal with it. and some times it even gets physical, like there was this one time where my sister pushed me to the floor to get into the bathroom just to brush her teeth and locked me out(my mom doesn't let us lock doors)and so I'm standing outside telling her to unlock the door and my mom pulls my hair and throughs me on my bed. Then when I go into the living room, My mom is telling my grandma that everyone would be happier if I left with her to Florida, and I say whatever under my breath and she gets mad and tries to slap me but I block it. I don't know, I just think I would be better off on my own or with someone else. I have packed a bag before but was too scared to leave. I just don't want to leave and not have anywhere to go. please help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are needing somewhere to go if you run away. Here at NRS, we can look to see if there are any youth shelters in your area if you call or chat us. If you haven't already, you might ask your extended family and support system if there is anywhere you can safely stay.

Since you are are wanting to run, we want you know about what that could look like for you legally. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck. 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

-NRS

Guest replied
    CAn i run away where do i go my parents would call the police in anger.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello!
    We unfortunately cannot respond more than twice on our forum. We are glad that you reached out again though! Your situation sounds very difficult. You make mention of cutting and we take that very seriously. You can reach out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). They can provide support for you and provide resources for you as well! Their number is 1800-950-NAMI or you can text NAMI to 741741.
    We can talk further about your situation if you call our hotline at 1800-786-2929 or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We are available 24/7 and are confidential!
    Stay safe!
    National Runaway Safeline

Leave a comment:

Working...
X