I want to run away but have no where to go

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi im 18 and i want to run away, I need a program or somewhere i can go and work for stay. Its not good for my mental health to stay at home, I tried to kill myself twice already, and been in the mental health hospital three times. I need to leave. I need to change my surroundings. I dont know where to go, i dont want to end up on the streets of LA. I wish i lived near wood or something

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that your home life has gotten to a point where you feel like you need to leave for the sake of your mental health. It sounds like you’ve had some seriously painful experiences and it makes sense that you need a change of pace. If you feel as though you are a danger to yourself or others, please call us at 1-800-786-2929 or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. It is incredibly brave of you to reach out for help and we would be happy to see what resources might be available to you in your area that could include both short and long term shelters or mental health services. One option that is available across the country is the Job Corps. They are a national residential job training/education program that you can check out at https://www.jobcorps.gov/.

If you are interested, we could also talk more about the specifics of your situation and try to figure out what other options you might have in terms of getting yourself ready to leave and making sure you have a place to go. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• i am 15 and my parents mentally and physically abuse me all the time they expect me to do good in school when im not good and they call me worthless stupid and many more things, my dad just threw a plate at me and they said i will become homeless in life as they want me to be a smart student when in reality im not. I want to run away but they took my phone(writing on laptop) so idk how to get to a police station at night without a gps pls reply fast and help

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I’m thinking about running away but I don’t know if I have a reason to. My mom and dad call me names and emotionally abuse me and sometimes physical but they blame it on me. All I do is clean and babysit for them. I hurt my self all the time and cry myself to sleep bc I feel like they don’t care and I feel like I don’t belong where I am. Is that a good enough reason to run away?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-12-2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing with us what’s going on.
      Some situations can be disappointing and even upsetting thus making things uncertain about what to do or where to turn. It can be tough trying to sort out your own feelings let alone trying to carry the burden of others. You don’t deserve to be abused by anyone. It’s not your fault that they are doing this and causing you to feel so bad emotionally. Hurting yourself does not have to be an option. There are other ways of coping that you might try. Sometimes talking with someone that is supportive can be gratifying. You have a right to be upset. This sounds like it has been very frustrating for you. Running away could present another set of problems and it does not help if you are leaving one bad situation for another.
      We understand your reasoning for wanting to go and it’s good that you are reaching out. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this difficult time.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options, work on a plan for help, please call or chat soon.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.

You did a very brave thing by reaching out. Good for you.

Be safe and take care,
      NRS

• help me i wanna run to my friends house any tips?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• hi i want to run away because i am always doing the wrong thing and am always getting in trouble for it I think it would be best for my faimly and me if i run away

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We know it is hard to seek help and you are really brave in reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that things are tough at home and it has been making you feel like running away. It must be frustrating getting in trouble for doing the wrong things when you do not intend to do the wrong thing.

Now we are not legal experts but if you were to run away, there could be consequences to doing so. It is not illegal to runaway but rather it is seen as a status offense. What that means is that it is only something youth cannot do because they are a minor; for youth over 18, it is no longer called running away. Your parents or legal guardian do have every right to file a runaway report to the police, if you are a minor. What that would look like would be that the state would be notified that there is a report for a youth, and may or may not actively search for you, but if they find you, there is a possibility they may detain you until your parents/legal guardian is able to pick you up or they would take you straight home. If you ran away to a friend or relative, it could be seen as harboring a runaway. Most states have laws against harboring runaways and so there can be a possibility that any person who lets a runaway stay in their home, could face legal charges/charged with a misdemeanour.

If you want to talk more in depth about what is going on, do not hesitate to reach out and give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or send us a live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We are 24/7 and completely confidential. We are here for you and we are here to listen.

Best of Luck,
      NRS

• Hi am 15 I will be 16 in April, I want to run away
    It has been on my mind for a couple of months I have run away a couple of times before and all they do is take me back to my mom's house. she verbally abuses me, anything we take about we fight over who right or want really happens. she thinks she knows how my life at school and other place goes when she not even around she thing she knows what I think, she always calls me a bad names and I think the only thing she sees in me is bad she never sees the good, she makes me feel like sh**, it hurts a lot to see that u can take your time to think about how bad u can verbal hurt your son. my dad work as a police officer he never home and when he is home we get into a fight over everything, he hates my guts I don't have money but I can get food I have clothes I can pack. I just want to get as far as I can because I don't want to be living in my mom's house anymore. there been a lot of time I have taken off and they just blow all of it over and take me back home I had a family member help me and they are in trouble for help run. there someone that could help me but I don't want to get anyone in trouble and I don't want to hurt anyone so I'm really on my own. when there a problem she thinks she fixing it but she just going around the problem and when we fix and don't fight a little bit she gives me stuff then stop and then I get mad and ask questions and we fight again and then I lose everything I don't like getting thing because then she can use it as an excuse to yell at me for her getting for me. I plan on leave tonight

Comment

• my mom is taking me out of the highschool I finally felt happy in and she's taking me out against my will and the only reason shes doing this is because i had a boyfriend and she has emotionally abused me almost my whole life and beat me anytime i talked to a boy, i just wanna leave this place and never come back

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

From what you shared, it sounds like your mom has a pattern of isolating you from your support systems and this must be incredibly frustrating. It is understandable you would want to leave to get away from her negative impact. Emotional abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault.

If you do decide to leave home, we want you to be aware of what might take place. Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelphotline.org to talk more about strategies for coping with the emotional abuse at home and options for having a trusted adult intervene to help. They can also be another resource to add to your support system while you navigate this challenging time.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

We wish you the best,
        NRS

• Hi I’m 13 my reason is pretty different from all of yours. It’s really pathetic but I really just want to find a new life. I’ve never had a great relationship with my dad and my mom just doesn’t listen to me. Also she just had my baby brother, I mean I love him but it just makes her not listen to me even more and my dad has been forcing me to spend time with him more but when i do he just watches tv or just doesn’t want to do it. He’s also had a short temper since I was a kid which makes me pretty scared of him.
      I already have a plan and everything but it would still be nice to have some guidance.

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. It sounds like you have a tough situation going on at home and at school. It shows a lot of strength reaching out to us and we are here to listen with no judgement.

It sounds like home has been frustrating with how your parents have been treating you. We would love to hear more about what is going on at home if you are comfortable. We can always help create a plan that you feel may work best to address what has been going on at home. We can brainstorm together and talk about options that you feel more heard at home. It sounds painful that your parents don’t listen to you. If you are set on running away, please chat or call us so we can go over a safe plan and find shelters for youl.

We are very glad you reached out today. We know it can be hard to speak about frustrating situations and it take a lot of bravery to do so. Again, we are always here for you to talk, brainstorm, or even just listen. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us at 1800runaway.org. Again, if you do feel like you may harm or kill yourself you can always call 911 for emergency services or we can also help you do so if you would like. We hope to hear from you again soon!

Best, NRS

• Hi, thank you for your response. I’m actually a cutter, for almost 2 years now and my mom found out. She’s found out before and she thought I stopped but I couldn’t. Everything I have said previously is true but I do love my mom and I really do feel like a burden to everyone. I’m not very smart or pretty and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. My moms actually went back to school and pulse my brother that cost a lot of money. She saves college money for me and I keep telling her to use it because it’s a wast to spend it on me but whenever I say that she just gets mad.

Comment

• Hello!
        We unfortunately cannot respond more than twice on our forum. We are glad that you reached out again though! Your situation sounds very difficult. You make mention of cutting and we take that very seriously. You can reach out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). They can provide support for you and provide resources for you as well! Their number is 1800-950-NAMI or you can text NAMI to 741741.
        We can talk further about your situation if you call our hotline at 1800-786-2929 or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We are available 24/7 and are confidential!
        Stay safe!
        National Runaway Safeline
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• CAn i run away where do i go my parents would call the police in anger.

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are needing somewhere to go if you run away. Here at NRS, we can look to see if there are any youth shelters in your area if you call or chat us. If you haven't already, you might ask your extended family and support system if there is anywhere you can safely stay.

Since you are are wanting to run, we want you know about what that could look like for you legally. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck. 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

-NRS

• I'm George and I'm 12 years old. I don't know if my life is as hard as I say it to be but I think it is. Every day is a constant battle with my family. I have an annoying little brother that hits me constantly, and I'm not even joking when I say, he's bitten me so hard that I bleed out. Then there's my sister, she's the most two-faced ********** that I've ever seen. Like, she will be there for me and then she gets me to tell her all my ********, and then when shes mad at me, she uses it as blackmail. And the worst of all, my mom. She mentally abuses me like crazy, last night I was practicing for a performance for my choir and she said that I will never make it and I should just stop. and that's not even the worst, one time I was really upset because of my weight and instead of cheering me up like a good mom, she told me that I'm fat and should just deal with it. and some times it even gets physical, like there was this one time where my sister pushed me to the floor to get into the bathroom just to brush her teeth and locked me out(my mom doesn't let us lock doors)and so I'm standing outside telling her to unlock the door and my mom pulls my hair and throughs me on my bed. Then when I go into the living room, My mom is telling my grandma that everyone would be happier if I left with her to Florida, and I say whatever under my breath and she gets mad and tries to slap me but I block it. I don't know, I just think I would be better off on my own or with someone else. I have packed a bag before but was too scared to leave. I just don't want to leave and not have anywhere to go. please help

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now.
            You do not deserve to be abused by any one and we are sorry you are dealing with all of this right now. You have every right to make an abuse report and there are a few ways you can go about making an abuse report. One option to consider is calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453. Another option to consider is talking with your school counselor about what has been going on at home. They will be able to help make a report and also provide resources. Another option to consider is calling us and we can help you in making an abuse report.
            We know you mentioned running away, we are not legal experts but we do have some information on the laws. If you were to run away your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could see about staying with a friend or family member.
            We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
            NRS

• Hi, I'm 16 and I don't have a 100% idea of whether to run away or not. I've wanted to leave since I was 10, but I never found a solid reason as to why I want to leave. My mom and dad are always arguing with me, they favorite my brothers, they always find an excuse to yell at me, and they usually think that buying me things will make me happy, but instead it makes me feel angry. If my grades drop to a B, they yell at me and tell me to go study because "I'm a failure" and they always compare me to my cousins who always have straight As. A lot of people I've always reached out for help passed away, and I believe that is where my anger began. My best friend from all of elementary died of a stroke at 11 years old, and I could no longer depend on him. I went to my grandmother who soon passed away, and so did a lot of the following people I have depended on. My grades are slipping lower to Bs and Cs and it's because school is getting more frustrating, and I'm sure you can imagine how my parents reacted to that. I've had several overdose attempts in the past and the time gap in between each one is getting smaller and smaller. I have no valuable excuse as to why I want to run away since I'm not sure whether I'm happy where I am or not. My friends at school have even said that I look worse from how I was in the past. They said I look pale/yellowish, sleep-deprived, I'm always sleeping instead of hanging out with them during our breaks, and they asked why I lost so much weight (December 2019: 142 lbs; February 2020: 124 lbs). I honestly have no idea as to why this is occurring, and I wanted to ask for advice on this before I fully decide on what to di, whether it be to run away from home, or try better at school, to talk to someone, etc.

Comment

• ccsmod13
            ccsmod13 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there, thank you so much for reaching out to us here at NRS. We appreciate your openness with the situations in your life and how vulnerable you have been. Reaching out is a first good step as you have some questions about running away. We are going to talk about a few things here but don’t hesitate to reach back out to us here. Our phone lines at 1-800-RUNAWAY and our chat lines at 1800runaway.org are here 24/7 for you.

First we want to give our condolences for the losses of your best friend and your grandmother. We understand that must have been difficult to lose someone close to you as well as a support system. From what you shared it seems a lot of difficulties at home have been centered around your parents and how they treat you. Having grades shift throughout the school year can be frustrating and being yelled at for those changes doesn’t seem to be the most uplifting action from your parents. Have you thought about talking to someone within the school about your grades and how to involve your parents in a more positive discussion? That can be an option to think about bringing up with someone you trust like a teacher or school counselor. They may be able to talk with you and your parents in a collaboration about how to best address school grades and bring up how your parents have been yelling at you if you are comfortable. You can also think about this option with other people like a friend, family member, or trusted adult. This can help bring a mediator to the topic of grades, but also help bring in a different perspective about how they have been treating you and how that has been affecting you, not only about grades too.

We are also here as an option too. We do have a conference call service where if you feel comfortable and are able to call us, we can help facilitate a call between you, your parents, and ourselves to talk about what you want to help bring compromise and listening to all sides. We know this may be uncomfortable but we are always here to discuss the option if you want, even if you and your parents are in the same house this is always an option too.

If you are feeling your health is something that is declining, you can also think about reaching out to a health professional like a school nurse or your primary care doctor to talk. This could a step to talk about the concerns you have about your health and maybe a school nurse could connect you to other resources if you feel your primary care doctor isn’t an option. If you are feeling the stress and thoughts about overdosing are becoming overwhelming, you can speak with a trained crisis counselor through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or go to suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Additionally the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration can connect you with local resources as well, 1-800-662-4357; samhsa.gov.

We appreciate your honesty and bravery with reaching out to us today. We are always here for you to listen and brainstorm what you may think works best in your situation. Don’t hesitate to reach back out if you want to talk further. Best of luck and stay safe!

Best,
            NRS

• Feelings I'm an eleven year old right now. Unlike the other stories of their experiences I have mostly been emotionally abused by my mother. My mom would yell at me for my tone in voice. For example one time I was having a rough day at school. When I came back home, my mom asked questions in which I answered. In her response she raised her voice saying I shouldn't have a bad tone. I tried explaining but she wouldn't listen and talk over me. This has occurred many times making me fragile in feelings. I have tried telling my experience but I let off. I didn't have the urge to. One of my friends has been physically abused by his dad in which I don't know. Just last week I have thought of my next occurrence. I have had many breakdowns either at school or in bed. I once had an urge to run away from home. I feel like I should stay until it's at my last string. I would like some information on helping my situation. Thanks to whoever is willing to.
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-10-2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
            ccsmod4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to help cope with everything. You do not deserve to be abused by your mother. It’s not your fault that she behaves this way towards you.
            We understand how difficult it must be to deal with this situation and cope with the feelings that come from it.
            You are very brave for doing so. Good for you.
            NRS is here to listen and here to help.
            Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.
            NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
            We are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
            Let us know how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Take care,
            NRS

• I want to run away but I just cant

I feel so worthless even though I have a family that loves me but I don’t feel like it. I can’t sleep every night and ever since I moved into my new house things have been going so bad at home. I always feel sad and school is the only place I’m happy. I really want to run away but I’m afraid for my future since I really want to become a successful woman I’m only in 6th grade too! I feel like I’d be happy running away but I always think of the cons and can’t bring myself to it. I’m afraid if I get found and my family leaves me. I always feel so left out at home ever since my nephew was born. My dad is mostly the whole reason I want to run away and I just can’t take it anymore. This all might feel like such a stupid reason to run away and that there are so many other people that go through way more then me but please tell me what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now and we hope we can help.
            Moving into a new home can be a huge life transition and it can be scary and frustrating and overwhelming at first. It seems like you may be going through depression, but only a mental health professional can diagnose that. One option to consider would be to speak with your school counselor or a therapist about how you are feeling. Sometimes speaking to a professional can help offer you support and resources to how you are feeling. Another option is you could contact NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses), they can be reached at 1800-950-NAMI.
            We are not legal experts but we do have some information on what could happen if you were to run away. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home.
            We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to help and to provide support. Best of luck to you!
            NRS
        Working...
        X