Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I completely understand I go through the same thing

Comment

• My name is derrick and im 13 and i just hate my life my dad just gets on my nerves every single day and im juse so fed up with him i just need a play to go to piz some one help me out

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you’re 13 and are thinking about running away. It sounds like you’re going through a tough time right now, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, we’re not legal experts but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you were to leave your home without parental consent, your legal guardian can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with may face some consequences for harboring a runaway.

An option you may explore would be to talk to someone at school, or another relative that you trust about your home situation. If there is abuse occurring, you can contact the Nation Child Abuse hotline at 1800) 422-4453. Child Help can access the situation at hand and if need be, file a child abuse report with initial contact after 48 hours. It’s hard sometimes when you feel like there is no way out, but there will be someone there to listen when you need it. You may also reach out to the National Alliance on Mental Illness and text directly with a certified counselor. You can do that by texting the word NAMI to 741741.

We hope these resources and options have been of some help to you. If you want additional help. Or want us to each out to another organization on your behalf you can contact us 24/7 at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

• I’m planing to runaway in 5 weeks. Right now I’m planning where to go. The problem is, I don’t have anywhere to go. I’m saving up money so I can get snacks and stuff. I’m 11 years old. I know I’m very young but I have my reasons. My friend is coming with me, she’s 13. Right now we both have $0 so we are both saving.. If you have any places we can go.. please help.

Comment

• ccsmod4
        ccsmod4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here to support you during this challenging time.
        We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. Running away is a big step and there are a few things to consider about leaving home.
        If you would like to talk more about your situation and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care,
        NRS

• I have been wanting for run away for years. My mother is so toxic, shes been like this ever since my parents separated. She gets so angry that like another person within her comes out. She always wants to start a fight with me , by hitting, slapping, throwing things at me. She once threw the kettle at me. She would often shout things like .. "you need to get out of this house" " go on the streets and be fatherless and motherless good for you " "raise yourself" " you always feel sorry for yourself" . "get over yourself" ... she even once said that she wishes she aborted me .... you know theres so much more things I could list, at this moment in time I just want to run away and never come home. I just want to be by myself and not have anyone else there, I often shut my feelings away because I have little sisters and I want to be a role model to them, but Ive reached my breaking point. My mum is just always angry angry she would come home and blame me for everything, shes often said she loves my sisters more than me .... sometimes I even pray to God to just die and never feel upset again but all now he hasn't taken me.... I just want to be happy in life and I dont know when this will be , im so tired of being "strong"

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for telling us your story and reaching out. It can be difficult telling others what has happened to you and you are very strong for doing so. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if your parents file a report. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member.

You also mention an option of killing yourself due to what has been going on. We want you to know that you can always call the police right away if you feel you may be a harm to yourself or others. If suicide is an option you are seriously considering, or just want to talk about, you can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255. We are open to talking about suicide as well, and you can trust that we will be nonjudgmental, nondirective (meaning we won’t tell you what to do), and supportive in your decisions.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom how you have been feeling and what’s been making you want to runaway. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.

• I want to run away
      i'm 10 and i hate my life because my stepdad has been hitting my mom and has been selling drugs. And i don't get much sleep

there you all have it my story

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we hope to be able to help. It can be difficult to manage situations like this and you don’t have to do it alone. If you haven’t already, you could consider reporting the abuse you’ve been experiencing. If you want more information about abuse reporting or if you want to file a report, you could call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. We want you to know that no one deserves to be abused, and you should not have to go through that. We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there if your parents file a report. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you don’t feel safe and feel like you need to get away Nationalsafeplace.org provides a safe location for you to meet a staff member who can take you to a designated place where you can discuss all options about how to stay safe. You can text 44357 the word “safe,” and your location to find a safe location in your area. Once you arrive let someone who works there know you need help connecting with a staff member. Another resource is the National Domestic Violence Hotline. They can be reached at 1-800-79-7233 if you or your mom wants to talk to someone about the abuse she has been going through.

One service we can offer is to conference call with your parents. This way you could have a conversation with your parents but you would not be alone. For example, it may be hard for you to explain to your mom how you are feeling and what you would like to see changed. Sometimes those conversations go better in a conference call because we can advocate for you. If you want to reach us, you can chat with us anytime at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7, and we are ready to listen and help however we can.
        Last edited by ccsmod10; 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM.

• Hi. I'm a transgender male, 12 years of age, and want to run away desperately. I'm failing school, my dad's barely around, my mom doesn't seem to care about me, I'm losing friends, I have depression, and I have too many responsibilities at home, and I can't do all of them, and when I can't, I breakdown. I do self harm, and me and my 6 friends had a plan to run away to North Carolina in June. The kids are all contributing, Darren knows how to drive, and has at least a $1,000 dollars, and if things backfire in North Carolina, his uncle has a hotel in West Virgina or New York (Forgot which one) that his uncle said we can stay in for as long as we like. Andrew has his uncles cabin in North Carolina too. Taryn, and Jaida, aren't contributing much, but we're still bringing them. Jai also has a car, and money, and Sebastian has money, and some guns to protect us. I have a gun, katana, some money, and 2 guard dogs. I suggested walking there instead of driving because we'll most likely get pulled over. Darren also has a weekly allowance if 1,000 dollars because his parents are rich which by summer will be more then enough. It's 11 hours to get to North Carolina by driving, and probably double that by walking, but we wouldn't get pulled over. And if we stay off the road, we probably won't get caught. I also suggested a train, bus, or an Uber to get us there. Any ideas on how to get out of my city? I live in Florida by the way..

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe. You talked about self-harm and depression, and a good organization for you to maybe reach out to would be the National Alliance on Mental Health. You can text with a crisis worker if you text "NAMI" to 741741. Your safety is extremely important to us.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/

You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

You also talked about possibly taking a train, bus, and/or Uber for travel. In many cases, you have to be accompanied by adults to use transportation of that type, especially long-distance transportation. Crossing state lines can also be a very tricky situation, and anyone who helps you do so could have serious consequences. Again, your safety is important to us, and walking such a far distance could be very dangerous.

If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

Stay Strong,
        NRS

Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860; https://www.translifeline.org/
        Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386; text “START” to 678678; chat at https://www.thetrevorproject.org/

• I live with my aunt and uncle. My dad is dead and my mum lost custody. My aunt and uncle are so controlling and i cant do anything. I am missing out on a childhood and i feel like i'm in prison. They are emotionally abusive and i want to kill myself. I have no friends and i suffer from depression not that my aunt and uncle care. Recently, I went on social media (i'm not allowed to but i have an account) and have been talking to my family (not even allowed to do that because idek) and i also told people i wanted to kill myself and i needed someone to talk to. Well some ********** told on me. Not because she cares, she is actually really rude and makes everything worse. My aunt and uncle are so mad and are turning off internet. I feel trapped. I want to live with my sister but i dont think i can. And i see you leave the same links for the place to run away to, but i checked and I don't want/cant go to any of those places. please i need to find another place to go. please

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Abuse of any kind is never okay and not your fault. Doing your own research while thinking about the decision to leave is really responsible and resourceful!

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is always available if you need someone to talk to about how you have been feeling. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Reaching out to a school counselor or another adult that you trust could also be a good outlet for you as well.

Your safety is very important. If you are not feeling safe at home then it is a good step to take measures to regain that sense of safety. Friends, family members, and adults you trust are some options for safe places to stay if you decide to leave. Additionally, you can contact an organization called National Safe Place. You can text "safe" and your current address to 44357 for a safe place to go.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You can contact us at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat at 1800runaway.org 24/7 to talk more about your situation and explore your options.

Stay safe,
        NRS

• I’m 12 years old and I’m really struggling. My parents don’t know how to deal with me and scream and sometimes smack me. I’ve only gotten a couple of of bruises put it really effects me emotionally. I know sometimes I can be bad but it seems everything is my fault. They have favoritism for my brother too. I honestly feel like they don’t love me. I really want to run away but I have no idea where to go. I don’t have any money. I have no idea what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. It can certainly be stressful at home when the adults in the household are not supportive. Emotional and physical abuse does get overwhelming and it can be tough to cope with on your own. Constant yelling and hitting of any kind is never okay and not your fault. You deserve to be treated in a way that makes you feel safe and supported.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18. This means they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member or a friend's parent can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and what you need to change.

Child Help is an organization that advocates for young people in abusive and unhealthy situations. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to childhelphotline.org to talk more about strategies for coping with the emotional abuse at home and options for having a trusted adult intervene to help. They can also be another resource to add to your support system while you navigate this challenging time.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. 1-800-786-2929; live chat at www.1800runaway.org

Stay safe,
        NRS

• I'm 13 years old I live with both of my parents I thinking about running away from home because I don't think I belong in my family.Everybody in my family is smart but the thing is i'm not and I don't my parents love me at all cause of that.I also feel like I have my parents life worse while being here on this earth I ask myself should I even still be here at all and if so why.I also thought about killing myself plenty of times.But overall my question is if I decide to run away where should I go.

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for contacting NRS. We know it can take a lot of courage to reach out and share a little bit about your story. It sounds like you're struggling to feel like you fit in with your family at home. That sounds really hard.

Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren't legal experts, but generally speaking running away is not illegal. Your parent does have the right to call the police and file a runaway report if you leave. This means that if you’re found, the police could return you back home. The police do not always actively search for runaways, but if your parent had an idea of where you were they could ask them to check it out and bring you home.

You mentioned you've been suicidal in the past. Your mental health is important. If you feel like you need to talk to someone about the feelings you're experiencing you can contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, or visit their website at suicidepreventionlifeline.org for more information. You can also reach out to us at 1-800-786-2626 and we will do our best to find mental health resources in your area if that is something that you think would help you.

If you are interested in finding a place to stay, it might be helpful for you to call us here. Calling our hotline could allow you to talk through your plan and possibly get some specific resources, like shelters, drop in centers, or safe places. Otherwise, you might consider contacting friends or extended family to see if they might be able to help you or provide you a place to stay.

We hope that this is helpful to you. Please feel free to call us or chat with us through our website at www.1800runaway.org and we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area.

We wish you the best of luck,
        NRS

• im 16 and i researed a lot about running away and shelters. unfortanly lots of websites can go against one anthor. i was wonder if i ran away and i was living in a shelter could the police make me go home

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write us here at NRS. Doing your own research while thinking about the decision to pursue emancipation is really responsible and resourceful!

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home.

A shelter is usually a temporary safe place you can stay. Most shelters will let you stay anywhere from 24-72 hours without permission from your guardian, but they will need to get permission for you to stay longer. While you are staying there a caseworker will work with you to address the issues making you want to leave and help you brainstorm a long-term plan to stay safe.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
        NRS

• Hey, I am 13 and I have been planning on running away, honestly since I was 7. I get emotionally/mentally abused by my parents (Never physical, they don't do that...)and they are always telling me who I can and can't be. They always tell me how I can and can't feel. They call me so many names and make fun of me. They don't support me. If they don't blame me, they blame my partner cole (I am dating them, they are non-binary). Cole knows I wanna run away but he doesn't want me to but he says if I do he wants to know where I am and if I am okay 24/7. I don't have a phone and never ever had one before, my mom says I am a liar and thief and so I can't be trusted (I don't lie, she never believes me...I don't steal) My mom is so picky about my grades and always comments them and expects them to always be straight A's, she's really harsh about them. And no matter how hard I try it's so difficult, especially with honor classes. My friend is planning on running away in April to Illinois and wants me to come but I don't know if I will have everything planned out and all the supplies I need for that. He told me that I don't have to come, but I want to. I plan on doing it sometime in April but I don't know if I will have everything but I am trying to save all money and ways to get around and places to go. I wanna continue school but I don't want them to come and get me at school and if they do, I plan on running. I want to just escape, be free without all this pressure and secrets...My mom claims she knows me but she doesn't, she doesn't know the pain, she doesn't know how many times I cry at night. She doesn't know the times I cried from what my cousins and brothers did to me. My dad barely pays attention unless it has something to do with his games or his things. I have been planning on running away for a while and all and I just need to make up the money soon...Also, I think I may be mentally insane...So...I honestly think I am going to run away, I just hope it goes like planned and I know I may seem more pathetic than others but yeah...

Also, where are places that hire people my age and do you know any jobs I can have? What do you think I should pack? Could I take buses or will I have to walk when traveling? Do you think I am pathetic honestly? What kind of clothes should I bring? What type of food? Do you know websites or places that sell a reasonable amount for phones? Should I continue school? What should I learn about before doing it?
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 02-01-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you decided to reach out for help.

We are sorry to hear that you are going through such a hard time and you don't deserve to be treated like that. We are glad to see that you are thinking this out before taking any steps. Leaving home can be hard and unsafe in many cases. Your psychological health and well-being and really important. Talking to a school counselor about your struggles can be helpful in many cases. You can also contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255) if you need additional support.
        We are not legal experts however speaking generally if you are to leave home without your parents permission the police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

If you do decide to leave it can be helpful to think where you might stay, how you might pay for food, rent and other living expenses. This can be a lot and we would be happy to talk to you in detail listen to you, explore your options and provide any resources. We can be reached at 1-800-786-2929.

You are doing great by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you

Best,
        NRS

• i want to run away and never come back. i want to disappear off the earth. i wanna go to sleep and never wake up. I did something illegal the other day and now my entire family hates me including my stepfathers family. My mom told me that im not aloud to hangout with my life long bestfriends anymore either. i just dont know what to do and i dont know where to run away too

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services. You can also text with a crisis worker 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
        Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe and stay strong,
        NRS

• I want to run away but have nowhere to go.

This may sound a bit pathetic but I am constantly involved in seeing my 2 oldest brothers go insane and even one time tried to kill my mom with a baseball bat. My dad isn't smart about it and he always reacts in hitting or other forms of violence. I can't stand living in such a big family anymore and having to share a room with my other brother that looks up to them is even worse. I can't stand this life here anymore. I want to run away but I don't know what to do or how to do it. I'm 12 Years Old.

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
        If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe,
        NRS

• I want to run away but I have no where to go

The reason I want to run away is because my family stresses me out my mom and dad get into physical fights alot and one time she had to go to the hospital my auntie and my older brother are in an incest relationship and that stresses my family out my sister is going through it my little brother makes my life hell and I'm not doing well in school when I ask for help no hears me and I just get yelled at my grandma and grandpa are no help either they hide there problems to make themselves look good and they haven't talked to me in years
      and I cant go anywhere bc I'm afraid they will find me and I don't wanna get found I just want to live a free life without my family and I want to go to school without the feeling of my mom on my back threathing to whoop me and make my life miserable if I dont keep good grades please help me

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you have a lot going on at the home with your family. And it is affecting your greatly. You’re really brave for going through everything that you’re experiencing, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, if you see that your mom and dad are still getting into physical altercations, you may want to consider reaching out to your local authorities, in case someone gets hurt as well as for your safety. Sometimes calling the authorities can be frightening but there are hotlines out there like the National Domestic Violence Hotline, who can take your concerns about domestic violence. The phone number to this organization is 1800) 799-7233.

Adults make a lot of decisions on their own, and may not consider how their intimate relationships affect those around them. Although you and your family can’t control what others do, you may consider sitting down and talking with your older brother about how you feel that this has taken a toll on you. Your grandma and grandpa sound like they’re not a great support system, but if you need someone to talk to the National Alliance on mental Illness, has actual counselors that you can text or call at any time to talk. To talk to them over the phone, the phone number is 1800) 950-6264 and to text you would text “NAMI,” to 741741. As far as school, keep in mind that your teachers are there to help you succeed and be the best that you can be. Try reaching out to your teacher whose subject to you seems more difficult, and see if they know of any tutoring services that are available during/after school. Your parents as well may help you get a tutor to come to your home and ease the tension of your grades.

Running away is not a crime, but it does come with some aftermath of your actions. Although we are not legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor. If you were to run away, your mom and dad can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some consequences for harboring a runaway. If there is physical abuse in the house, you can call the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1800) 422-4453 and file a child abuse report. Someone will be in contact with you within 48 hours to discuss this matter.

We hope that these resources and options are of some use to you. If you need additional help or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can contact us 24/7 at 1800) 786-2929. Best of luck!

• What do i do if i wanna run away to a friends house but don’t want to hurt my family and have no way of getting there?

Comment

• ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you.

Generally speaking, your parents are your legal guardians until you turn 18, so they can decide where you live. If you do choose to leave without permission, your parents can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means that if your parents know where you are staying then they can have the police return you home. Unfortunately, there is not an easy way to leave home and there might always be some risk. You are the expert on your situation and you know what is going to be best for your situation.

The easiest way to leave home as a minor is with your parents’ permission. In this case, they would be allowing you to live somewhere else where you are safe and being cared for. A helpful step is to start reaching out to friends and family members you might be able to stay with. Sometimes having an adult advocate on your side can make communicating your needs more effective to your parents. Perhaps an adult family member, a friend's parent or a counselor at school can talk to your parents with you about your experience at home and the possibility of you leaving.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Stay safe,
        NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod13; 02-08-2020, 09:44 PM.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X