No announcement yet.

I want to run away but have no where to go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi i'm 17 years old and I'm going crazy in my household, I was going down a very depressing time in my life where i hated myself and everything else, my mom tried everything to get me to open up but whenever she gets mad at me she uses what I had told her against me. My dad just judges my appearance and makes everybody feel bad. I'm the odd one out in my whole family and have been saying that I was leaving since i was little. I'm about to turn 18 and am desperate to know if there are any places I can go...this might sound little and dumb but it's a build up of every single year feeling like this.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.We are sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. It must be intensely frustrating to have your mom trying to help only to wind up aggravating the situation further and your dad actively antagonizing you. There may be youth shelter/living resources in your area and we would be happy to look those up for you. We would also be happy to try to connect you with mental health resources that might be able to more productively help you cope with your depression. If you are interested in those resources or in discussing your circumstances/options further, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• Hi im12 and I hate my mom. She gets me mad all the time. Sometime she lies like, one day we were going to the fabric store because I make disney ears and we were talking about this like 2 days ago and so we were going to go today. I told her I'm ready wene you are and she was like what. So I told her we were going to go to the fabric store and she was like no we are no going to go. I told her why and she said you don't deserve to go. Then I got mad at her and she was going to go somewhere and I was going to stay home but I went in the car anyways. Telling her how many she was cuz she always lies to me she does mean things to me too but she doesn't abuse I took her purse and her phone away this is not her phone this is mine. I just need somebody to talk to.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It sounds really frustrating to have your mom's moods and promises change so much. It sounds like your mom isn’t fully understanding you when you are trying to relay your thoughts and feelings about how her actions have been affecting you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I want to runaway because my mom treats me like I’m 12 when I’m a senior in HS and I’m 17. She uses my siblings against me to make me seem crazy. Ik it’s a couple of months before I can move out but I just can’t deal with this anymore. I ask to go to my boyfriends house because that’s like a safe haven but she says no because she thinks I’ll end up like her a teen parent. I don’t even have sex to get pregnant. His parents find it offensive because she said that , when I went over there once they consistently checked on us. I cry every night because I have no one to talk to in my house, I remember one time when I was in middle school and I told them I wanted to kill myself and they literally laughed while I was crying.... it’s sad.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• I'm 13 my parents dont accept me for being trans and i struggle with depression my step dad always yells at me when i ask him politely to leave me alone and i just wanna run away i feel. Miserable every time i get home even though i act like I'm ok at school I'm not i hate feeling like I'm the reason someone's upset and overall i dont wanna be in my home as i write this i feel afraid my parents will find out but I'm also feeling hopeful like i have a chance thank you for reading

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It must be hard not feeling accepted by your family. If you would like to talk to someone about what you are experiencing contact Trans Lifeline at 1877-565-8860 or the LGBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564. Maybe you can have a conversation with your parents about how you are feeling. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself. If you want to find a therapist you can contact SAMHSA 1800-662-HELP and they can help you locate some in your area. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

• im 12 and i cant handle the stress from school,friends, and home.everyone wants everything from me and i dont know what to do.i keep getting bullied all i want to do is runaway like today my mom grounded me for no reason and took away my xbox when i just wanted to play with my sister

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It sounds like there's a lot of tension in your life right now and it must be really rough to deal with. You mentioned that school is stressful because you keep being bullied. No one deserves to be bullied. You should be treated with respect everywhere you go and you should feel comfortable at school. If you feel comfortable you can always disclose what’s going on with a trusted teacher, school counselor, or other personnel; they may be able to help. You can also check out https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/bullies.html for some “Bullying Survival Tips”.

It sounds like your mom might not understand how you've been feeling and how her actions are contributing to your level of stress. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your mom so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

• I feel like no matter what I do, I will never be good enough. For the last 5 years, I have been depressed and my mother constantly abuses me verbally. My family looks perfect without me in the picture. I've thought about committing suicide many times, but at least running away would give me time to think. I don't have any family around the area that I trust. All I know is, I don't wanna be here anymore. Where can I go ?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      HI there, thanks for reaching out to NRS.

It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org) is always available if you need someone to talk to about how you have been feeling. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Reaching out to a school counselor or another adult that you trust could also be a good outlet for you as well. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You deserve to feel wanted and loved.

If you feel like you need leave to get some space, there is an organization called The National Safe Place that might be able to help. You can go to www.nationalsafeplace.org or text "safe" and your current location to 44357 for the nearest safe place. This will connect you with a youth shelter which will usually have caseworkers who can help you think through your next steps and address your needs.

We are here for you as a support during this challenging time. We are available 24/7 to listen and help, so please do not hesitate to reach out (800-786-2929 ; 1800runaway.org).

• I"m 14 (turning 15 in 4 days) where do i even start?
    it's a lot of mess going on at home. and i do mean alot. the house is a damn mess, my emotions are a mess, my thoughts are a mess, literally everything's a mess. To be completely honest: I live in a trailor. (a mobile home)> been living here for 5 years and everything's all worn out. The carpets are old and the walls are drawn on. we've also got so many damn roaches (im just trying to be honest here. dont judge me.) I understand money, and money problems. i know well enough that money does NOT grow on trees, and can be hard to make. but i know that if you'd actually try, you could do it. My mother works from home, but she barely does it at that. she used to actually go to work and actually make money. but after some years, she just stopped. what's even sadder is the fact that my step-dad (not my real dad!) goes to work until he comes home at 11:00. my mother doesn't pay not one bill, he does. if she'd stop being so damn lazy and go to work like every other human being on this planet, maybe we could move out of this disgusting house and into something better. there's something wrong with me, and i know this. I"m homeschooled so i don't have ANY friends. life gets really lonely from time to time. The worst part is when i do meet someone, i usually end up burning our bridges before their even built. anyways, what im trying to say is that i hate it here.
    This house smells, everything grosses me out. i wan't to go to a real school, but not if i have to stay here. mom is always nagging me. over and over and over again like a broken record. i dont- i can't even talk to people cuz i don't know how to socialize anymore. I'm so sick and tired of cleaning up after them, and i'm tired of not having privacy (like a nice room, and cute clothes, you know... stuff a 14 year old girl like me should have.) i know this may seem petty and stupid to whomever may read this, but trust me, if you were me, you'd want to runaway from this hell-whole too.
    It's really hard being broke. (not having money to spend on the things you like. and need.) and honestly, it's my mother's fault. not anybody elses but hers. there are so many good jobs she could have gotten .
    this world is so dangerous, even if i had enough guts to runaway where the ******** would i go????? I live in stone mountain georgia, and nobody i know (family members) live around here. it sucks. please help me because if can't runaway from this life, i might as well end it.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

First of all, thanks so much for posting in our forum. We know it can take some guts to reach out to talk about this stuff, even when you're having a hard time. It's great that you did. Let's see how we can help.

It sounds like you're really tired of your living situation. We certainly aren't judging you for your situation - you didn't choose it! It also makes sense why you'd be frustrated with your mother.

Some people who don't like their home situations find outlets in activities or things like music or reading. It makes things extra tough when you don't have many friends. You might be able to find groups around your area where you can meet other teenagers in your sort of situation. You might be able to google activities in your area and see if there's anything happening, or see if there are school groups around you that you could join.

When it comes to running away, you're definitely right that it can be a really hard thing to do. The most important thing if you're thinking about running away is making sure you're able to stay safe and have your needs covered (like food and shelter). There might be youth shelters in your area that would give you a place to stay for a couple of nights, but they aren't permanent housing solutions. We'd be happy to talk more about specific housing options if you want to think about that more - chat us online at 1800runaway.or or call us at 800-786-2929. Also, nobody deserves to be in a position where they have to think about ending things. If you find yourself thinking about that more, please reach out to us or give the national suicide prevention hotline a call at 800-273-8255.

Thanks again for reaching out. You're definitely in a tough situation, but you're doing a great job by staying tough through it! We hope we can keep talking so we can come up with some good options for you!

-NRS

• I wanna run away but where would i go

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

• hi i’m 12, i got suspended from school today, i’m suspended monday i’m planning on running away Tuesday while my dad thinks i’m heading to the bus stop

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are having a rough day. It can be difficult to leave home before you turn 18. In general, your parents or legal guardians can decide where you live while you are still considered a minor. This means that if you do leave without permission, they can report you as a runaway. Running away is not illegal and you would not be arrested. It just means that if the police know where you are they might return you home.
      One option to consider is talking with a school counselor, friend or family member. Maybe seeing if a friend or family member could take you in or just talking to them about what you are experiencing. Sometimes talking to someone can help go over your options and decide what to do next. If you ever need someone to talk to you could text NAMI at 741741. Also you could call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could find shelters in your area. Most shelters will only let you stay temporarily especially if you have runaway report, they may have to contact your parents and you could be returned back home. If you have any questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here to you 24/7. Best of luck!

• Hello, My girlfriend is being badly abused by her divorced mom and gets bruised frequently. its only been getting worse, her mom is super “protective” and doesn’t let her do much of anything, babying her. I’ve reported this multiple times but to no avail. She really wants to run away but can’t, her family is forever shattered, and she is a single child. I really want to help he and her mom, as she and her are still learning, and it must be very hard. Please consider my request, I don’t want to watch her bruises, cuts, and suffering. Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out to NRS.

It sounds like your girlfriend is not safe at home with her mom, and you are very concerned about her situation. She is very lucky to have someone so supportive in her life. Parents are supposed to protect you and have your best interests at hear, but this does not mean isolating and physically hurting their child. It is not okay for your girlfriend's mom to be hurting her to the point of injury.

You mentioned that you have tried reporting multiple times and not much has happened. We understand this can cause some distrust with social services, but reporting can still be an option. If your girlfriend has any current injuries from her mother's abuse, it could be helpful to take pictures of them in order to document what has been happening to her. Having this as evidence can lead to a more meaningful intervention by a social worker should she choose to report again. This can be a scary decision to make and your girlfriend does not need to make it alone. The National Child Abuse Hotline is available (800-422-4453 ; childhelphotline.org) to provide more support and help if she decides to make another report.

Your girlfriend's safety is very important and if she feels she is in immediate danger, she can call 911. In the event she decides to leave, her mom can report her as a runaway. Running away is not illegal, but police might return her home. In the event that this does happen, she can tell police why she left and why she does not feel safe going back. This would likely prompt them to get a social worker involved.

Talking with a trusted adult for help in this situation can provide some support for you and your girlfriend. Perhaps a family friend or your girlfriend's dad if possible can brainstorm more ideas and intervene to keep your girlfriend safe.

You and your girlfriend can reach out anytime by phone or chat (800-786-2929 ; 1800runaway.org) to talk more about the situation and explore possible options.

Take care,
      NRS

• I am 12 years old and me and my mom never get along. it was always just me and my dad and last year I told I wanted to live with him because my mom was so abusive and stressful and was never home. he said okay and told the courts and no they are doing something in January but I think my dad wants to leave me because the other day he came to hangout but left without even telling me and this weekend I was supposed to be with him but he swapped it with my mom and I have a feeling he is going to leave me like he did with my sister when she was 12. Ive always thought about running away but i never knew where and i was too afraid. Should i run away?

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are having a rough time. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those who you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices.
      It sounds like you may need some support. Maybe you can try to talk to your school counselor, friends or family member about how you are feeling. Sometimes have support can help you feel better because you have someone to talk about all the things you are experiencing. If you need someone to talk to you can contact NAMI at 1800-950-NAMI. Also if you are in an unsafe environment and want to report it you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453. If you want to discuss more about what is going on at home or just vent you can always call us at 1800-Runaway. We are 24/7, confidential and here to help! Thanks again for being so honest. Best of luck!

• my mom is doesnt get that u cant get caught by my grandparents because when i was 10 she ram off and came back 3 months later i wanted her to stay but she said she had to go and her and my step sister r talking right at this moment and she the favorite child i don't want her to be my mom my sister got her phone at 12 so i should and my birthday was 3 months ago she got me nothing so my brother in jjc had to get a ps card for me she acted like she got it but she didn't so this is nick i am running away i need somewhere to stay from my mom she doesn't like me she promised my sister a iphone xr and she also spent 20 dollars on her today goodbye hate u forever i'm never coming back never again bye going away never ever coming back and grandma and grandpa mom has been talking to mike everyday u think its david but its not also she been talking to duke! im telling the truth...! Bye sincerely Nick.
    Last edited by ccsmod13; 10-25-2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing a bit about what is going on. We know how hard it is to seek help when you are trying to determine your next steps. It sounds like you have a lot going on with your family. If you would like to discuss your situation more and determine what your options please feel free to call us.

Again, we are really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We're here to listen and help at 800-786-2929 or through our online chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Be safe,
      NRS

• Hello.
    Im a 7th grader in Pittsburgh Pa. My dad ( who was like my hero ) just had to get moved to a care facility. After a month of seeing him maybe once every 2 weeks, my mom snapped. She started to yell at me every hour of the day, because I “ wouldn’t put my shoes on the right way” or I “ didn’t wear the right type of clothes.” She then started to hate my friends, and blocked my off from all of them. I once was texting one, and she tackled me on our couch and tossed me “ on accident “ and I fell on a chair in the living room. Sometimes I just wish I could run away, but I’m too scared to because I know my mom will find me and yell even more. Most of my friends are LGBTQ+ even my own brother is. She always judged them ( in secret ) because of their sexuality, and then would ask if I was, in the most discussed tone EVER. I’m to afraid to come out to her, so I would always just answer “no” or “not a chance”. This is normal to me, it’s been normal for about 5 years, but when I talk to my friends about it, they call it mental abuse. It sometimes gets so bad that I cut, but I’ve been clean for about 2 months so no need to worry there. I’m too scared to ask my mom to see a mental adviser about my mental state, and if I have depression, or something close to it. I just want to be a normal kid, with normal parents. My friends live to close to run to their houses, I would get busted for sure. I am doing this on my school iPad, in fear that she will find this. Please, if anyone has any ideas, please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have a lot of things going on. It must be hard having your mom yell at you often and not have your dad be closer to you. Seems you are going through a rough time at the moment. It sounds like your mom is controlling as well and trying to stop you from communicating with your friends. That sounds like that can be isolating and frustrating. It can be hard going through life and not having a support system or people you can talk to or reply on for advice and support. If you ever need someone to talk to about what you are going through contact LGBT National Hotline 1888-843-4564. Maybe you could talk to a family member you trust, teacher or guidance counselor about what is going on at home. You have the option to report the abuse and if you contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453, they can walk you through the steps of what it would look like to file and abuse report.
      You also stated that sometimes things get so bad that you harm yourself. If ever feel like you want to harm yourself and you are having thoughts of no longer live than contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-8255. Also there is an online resource which is www.twloha.org and it is “to write love on her arm”, it is a resource for individuals who self-injure, if you need it. Great job, not cutting yourself in 2 months by the way. Sometimes it’s nice to have someone you can talk too this a therapist who is nonjudgmental and there to support you so its good that you are thinking about see one. You can always contact us at 1800-Runaway, if you want to explore this further. Best of Luck.

• If I don’t find somewhere to go other than the place I live I’m going to kill myself I’m like a slave here nobody and I mean nobody cars about me so it’s either or die here I don’t have nowhere to go I’m trying to hold on, I’ve tried saving money but there’s no point I get no respecter what so ever so I just want to put a end to it plus nobody in this family likes me and I’m the mmidddle child so I get why sometime I think I was a mistake and that I just I can’t take it any more

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are going through a hard time. It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

• Im 14 I'm going to run away where should I go

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are having a rough time. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those who you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices.

Sometimes support can help you feel better because you have someone to talk about all the things you are experiencing. If you need someone to talk to you can contact NAMI at 1800-950-NAMI. Also if you are in an unsafe environment and want to report it you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453. If you want to discuss more about what is going on at home or just vent you can always call us at 1800-Runaway. We are 24/7, confidential and here to help! Thanks again for being so honest. Best of luck!
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X